Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some kind of split layer?
Hi, I am a total noob outside of a couple of very simple repeated operations. Now I have ended up trying to work on an image I didn't start, and I can't figure out whats going wrong: I have a single layer containing both figures and a background. I can move my own picture into the image, and it covers the background with the figures showing up in front of it. So far, so good. But now I want to remove a couple of the figures, and that has proven frustrating. If I try to make the figures transparent, all I get is transparent pixels in the shape of the figure. The underlying picture does not show up. If I check the background, it is all cut out in a rectangle no problem.

It really feels like I am trying to work on two different layers, but can only see one. 

Here, I have unlocked the alpha channel and done a rectangular cut to remove one of the figures: The outline of the figure remains, while a rectangle space is cut out from the background -which is on the same layer as the figure. The mostly dark section is what I have inserted and it is supposed to be showing in the transparent pixels. As you can see, the background is not showing up. I can raise the background up, but then it covers the rest of the figures.

Attached Files Image(s)

Are all layers modes set to "Normal"?
I can't picture out what you're trying to explain,
Please post a screenshot of your layer stack (like the one below) but name each layer with the layer mode and opacity percentage

or even better put the .xcf in a zip and upload it
Ok, yes I can see that is confusing. The layer mode is normal and the opacity 100%. I'll explain why it doesn't help to alter it. The backstory is, I bought a fancy character sheet online, but its for 5th ed, and I want to alter it to 3.5/pathfinder. I can hadle most operations on the way, but I've run into this one issue.

I am uploading an image of the layer stack:

They are set to normal, alpha channel is there and can be unlocked, opacity 100%. The layer called "Background" contains the objects I want to remove on a decorated yellow background:

Now, if I toggle on the character picture, the layer called "Elamiah" the picture appears between the background and the object. Both of which are in the same layer:

Next, I've cut out the object i want to remove. Bear in mind that I want to retain most objects on this layer. As you see in the final shot,

I get transparent pixels but the underlying image does not show up. Also, whatever way i try to separate the object from the rest of its layer doesn't seem to work. If I for example alter the transparency of it, every other object gets the same effect.

While writing this it has occurred to me though that I can brute force it by cutting the shapes piece by piece following the background colors and filling the cut out shapes with background colors manually.
Ensure the Composite Mode of the layers (in the Layer Attributes dialog) are set to Auto.