Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space bar-left click hangs
I have Gimp 2.8.20
Windows 10.
When I try to move using Spacebar-left click combo something hangs. the computer becomes unresponsive. and no matter where I move the mouse, the pointer displays the "move" cross.
I have never had Artrage (4 or 5) hang when using this particular keyboard combination, so I am pretty sure it's in Gimp somewhere.
When this happens, the only way out of Gimp is with task manager; it's completely frozen.
Quote:...When I try to move using Spacebar-left click combo something hangs. the computer becomes unresponsive. and no matter where I move the mouse, the pointer displays the "move" cross...

...and you are doing this in order to...what?

Usually it moves the canvas and spacebar on its own should be sufficient, no need to left-click.

I normally use Linux, but just given it a try in a Win10 VM with Gimp 2.8.20 and it works as expected. My advice is do not left-click just use the space bar on its own or use neither, try the move canvas tool bottom right as circled.

It could be a bug in Gimp, maybe some Win10 user will be able to reproduce it, but equally it could be a bug in Windows or a mouse (do you use a tablet?) issue.
(03-04-2017, 02:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...When I try to move using Spacebar-left click combo something hangs. the computer becomes unresponsive. and no matter where I move the mouse, the pointer displays the "move" cross...

...and you are doing this in order to...what?

Usually it moves the canvas and spacebar on its own should be sufficient, no need to left-click.

I normally use Linux, but just given it a try in a Win10 VM with Gimp 2.8.20 and it works as expected. My advice is do not left-click just use the space bar on its own or use neither, try the move canvas tool bottom right as circled.

It could be a bug in Gimp, maybe some Win10 user will be able to reproduce it, but equally it could be a bug in Windows or a mouse (do you use a tablet?) issue.
I hope you noticed the "newbie" designation. I only yesterday after I posted the above found out what the cross to the lower right is for.
When I'm zoomed in larger than the window, I am used to using the spacebar to move around in the picture. I don't want to move the picture relative to the boundary, I want to move everything at once, but stay zoomed out so I can work on a particular part of the photo.
I'm attaching a photo as an example of the ones I work with.
BTY, I don't thin the issue is with my OS, because in two other programs it never has frozen and I've used them for a few years, now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do not expect Gimp to use the same shortcuts as other applications.

You have ArtRage, very fine drawing application, I got a copy provided with my Wacom tablet several years ago. Does this mean that you use Gimp with a tablet?

Spacebar-left-click is not necessary. Spacebar on its own works fine.

If Gimp freezes it could be a conflict with some other application.

There can be an instance where focus on the main window is lost. The solution there is to click outside the canvas area. Are you in single window mode or the default multi-window mode?

A very quick video which demos the one small problem. The mouse/key board shown in the bottom corner. Duration 1 minute 40 seconds

(03-04-2017, 07:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Do not expect Gimp to use the same shortcuts as other applications.

You have ArtRage, very fine drawing application, I got a copy provided with my Wacom tablet several years ago. Does this mean that you use Gimp with a tablet?

Spacebar-left-click is not necessary. Spacebar on its own works fine.

If Gimp freezes it could be a conflict with some other application.

There can be an instance where focus on the main window is lost. The solution there is to click outside the canvas area. Are you in single window mode or the default multi-window mode?

A very quick video which demos the one small problem. The mouse/key board shown in the bottom corner. Duration 1 minute 40 seconds

Yes, I have a wacom tablet. It does not have the left click and right click enabled. I use it in conjunction with a mouse.
"The solution there is to click outside the canvas area. Are you in single window mode or the default multi-window mode?"
I'm in single window mode, but there are no other apps running and the entire computer freezes there is no clicking outside or anywhere else, the only way out of the situation is to close Gimp with task manager.
The problem is reproducibility. Until someone duplicates the problem then it is unique to your installation. I think it will be a software conflict. Have you checked on a driver update for the tablet?

Quote:Yes, I have a wacom tablet. It does not have the left click and right click enabled. I use it in conjunction with a mouse.

I still do not understand why you use space-bar - left click when spacebar alone works.
Does the problem exist when the tablet is unplugged?

Quote:"The solution there is to click outside the canvas area. Are you in single window mode or the default multi-window mode?"....I'm in single window mode, but there are no other apps running and the entire computer freezes there is no clicking outside or anywhere else.

I put that in because typically the paint tool is active, When some other window apart from the canvas is active, then moving back on the canvas window, spacebar does nothing until you click in the window. Not a good idea with the paint tool active, so click outside, (or change to some other tool)

Quote:..the only way out of the situation is to close Gimp with task manager.

Back to can anyone reproduce this effect?
I'm on Windows 7 and Gimp 2.8.18. I cannot reproduce eingram25's problem.

Like Rich said, to move the canvas I use the space bar and the mouse without touching the mouse buttons.
(03-05-2017, 11:21 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The problem is reproducibility. Until someone duplicates the problem then it is unique to your installation. I think it will be a software conflict. Have you checked on a driver update for the tablet?

Quote:Yes, I have a wacom tablet. It does not have the left click and right click enabled. I use it in conjunction with a mouse.

I still do not understand why you use space-bar - left click when spacebar alone works.
Does the problem exist when the tablet is unplugged?

Quote:"The solution there is to click outside the canvas area. Are you in single window mode or the default multi-window mode?"....I'm in single window mode, but there are no other apps running and the entire computer freezes there is no clicking outside or anywhere else.

I put that in because typically the paint tool is active, When some  other window apart from the canvas is active, then moving back on the canvas window, spacebar does nothing until you click in the window. Not a good idea with the paint tool active, so click outside, (or change to some other tool)

Quote:..the only way out of the situation is to close Gimp with task manager.

Back to can anyone reproduce this effect?
Well anyway, I'll just use the space and not use left click with it. It never has frozen when I don't also left click so the problem is the same as (but not in actuality) solved. I thank you for all your help in this. Over and out.