Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Split image into layers and edit
Hi
I have a scanned image with some text at the top , a picture in the middle, and some text at the bottom.
I would like to make the picture smaller, while retaining the text so that the whole can make a CD box label 138mm wide x 117mm tall.
I have made duplicate layers, but I find that when I start editing one layer it edits the original layer as well.
Is there a tutorial which shows how to do this correctly?
I have tried Googling but most results are long and I haven't found one which covers what I am trying to do.
(01-04-2018, 01:04 PM)Seeker Wrote: I have made duplicate layers, but I find that when I start editing one layer it edits the original layer as well.

I'm not sure what editing you are doing for this to happen. Are you perhaps doing (Image > Scale Image)? If so, try doing (Layer > Scale Layer) instead.

There are many ways do what you want. Here is one way.
1. Open your image.

2. Create a new image (File > New)
Set size to (138*300) x(117*300) pixels

3. In your original image, make a selection of image (eg Rectangle select tool)
Copy (Ctrl-C)

4. Change to your new image and do (Edit > Paste As > New Layer)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each bit of text.

6. In the new image select each layer in turn (in the Layers Dialogue) and position and edit as required.
Just noticed that Step 2 above is wrong.

138mm x 117mm = 5.43" x 4.61"
Size = (5.43 x 300) x (4.61 x 300) pixels
(01-05-2018, 04:45 PM)Blighty Wrote: Just noticed that Step 2 above is wrong.

138mm x 117mm = 5.43" x 4.61"
Size = (5.43 x 300) x (4.61 x 300) pixels

Yes: it was going to produce a file of 30 GB! I found the option to use a size in mm.
Rest worked well.
Had some fun making the black and white text truly black and white without turning the picture into black and white.
Used Image/Mode indexed  (Black and White) for the text.
Then created a new file and pasted in the picture and the text.

Many thanks for your help.