Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stain removal suggestions needed
(04-19-2024, 03:29 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Normally you could use heal selection for this but as it only gives you the option of sides and not left or right you cannot. Maybe clone a small area first then heal the selection by sides and it will fill in the area you want filled in.

....  Surely there is a way in Gimp to compare the two selections, determine what those "stain bits" are, and remove the "stain bits" from the entire stained area.
  Yes? No? Am I understanding the procedure wrongly?

Your eyes and gimp's levels are your best bet. You need to get the extra red out of the picture. Levels - auto input levels will do that. There looks to be a yellow stain over a lot of it too I tried that with blue levels and it wont get rid of it.  So you may have to recolour it - colourize or clone from other parts.

I have a feeling that this one of the harder restoration projects I'll ever have to deal with. It is also however, a great learning project. Luckily, I have no time constraint driving it. As such, I work on it until I get frustrated then work on other images for a while.
   The advice and tips offered here are of incalculable help. I am working on following each tip. Some of them several times. Bear with me, The goal on this project, apparently, is the journey rather than the destination.