Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappearing Camouflage (no pun intended)
I'd like to tell you an interesting anecdote. I used a pattern in G'MIC (camouflage) in one of my picture manipulations. Later, I installed something called  "Gimp extensions" (http://registry.gimp.org/node/27656) because the description said I could pick what filters and/or add-ons I wanted. This didn't happen, it just installed a bunch of filters without my control. What is interesting is that afterwards when i wanted to use the camo pattern again, it had disappeared from G'MIC! I had to re install G'mic to get it back!
IMHO these script/plug-in collections are not recommended.

1. They tend to be old, the one referenced for Windows Get latest version (2.8.20150403) you can see is 2015
examples g'mic 1.6.1.0 latest is 2.0 or BIMP 1.13 latest is 1.18
Linux is no better there is a package gimp-plugin-registry full of old scripts/plugins.

2. They will install to the Gimp installation directories. Not The Best Place The place for your scripts/plugins is in your Gimp profile folders.

The best thing that can be said about that collection is - it does not appear to contain any malware - it has options for what is installed & it does come with an uninstaller.

If you need a particular script/plugin.

Search for it.
If you can not find it, ask here.
As a last resort, install all that excess rubbish, move what you need to your Gimp profile folders, Then use the uninstall option.
(04-28-2017, 03:57 PM)rich2005 Wrote: IMHO these script/plug-in collections are not recommended.

1. They tend to be old, the one referenced for Windows  Get latest version (2.8.20150403) you can see is 2015
examples  g'mic 1.6.1.0 latest is 2.0 or BIMP 1.13 latest is 1.18
Linux is no better there is a package gimp-plugin-registry full of old scripts/plugins.

2. They will install to the Gimp installation directories. Not The Best Place The place for your scripts/plugins is in your Gimp profile folders.

The best thing that can be said about that collection is - it does not appear to contain any malware - it has options for what is installed & it does come with an uninstaller.

If you need a particular script/plugin.

Search for it.
If you can not find it, ask here.
As a last resort, install all that excess rubbish, move what you need to your Gimp profile folders, Then use the uninstall option.
Got it, thanks.