Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straight line with stylus
I need some help with drawing a straight line with a stylus using shift.  Using a mouse it works just fine by clicking the starting point, holding shift and clicking the termination point.  However with a stylus after clicking and holding shift I can see a preview but upon releasing shift there is no line.
I can't even find a reference to this by googling so I assume I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance.
Quote: need some help with drawing a straight line with a stylus using shift.....upon releasing shift there is no line

It is a different way of working than with a mouse. Your tablet (screen ?) should have a hover distance, the amount off the drawing surface when the pen does not register. Then (usually) touching the drawing surface with the pen = a left mouse click.

This is my tablet set up, very conventional. https://i.imgur.com/kJdHyvU.jpg

Not easy to demo, but look at the bottom of the Gimp window, with the pen inactive, (well away from the surface) it will show the layer name, as the pen gets near the surface the message changes, for the paint tool it says "Click to paint...."

For a straight line.
Touching the surface is a click and fixes the start or end point. For the straight line, touch the pen on surface (= click), hold the pen a little away from the surface, move the cursor to the end point, hold the shift key down, touch the surface (= click)

example: https://i.imgur.com/KsCrqgc.mp4
Thanks a lot.  I think I've got it.  The only issue (if indeed it is an issue) is that when moving to the end point it seems that the height from pad needs to kinda precise.  In other words too low=no good or too high=no good.  Gotta be at Goldilocks level. 
I know its do-able, so thanks again.
I just noticed that using any of gimps built-in brushes are finicky when using your method. At best I can barely get it to stroke the beginning of the line.  Its seems like its responding to pressure although the stylus is in the air. 
When using MyBrush with any of extra data packs they work flawlessly.  There is no finickiness at all.  Don't know why this is but I thought I'd mention it in case another noob runs into the same situation