Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange background in my Gimp
Hello everyone!

Just today I noticed this "spot" on my gimp screen.
A faint, barely perceptible image, like a watermark.
I've already restarted the Gimp, and that background image is still there.
I tried to give a screenshoot, but then it doesn't register in the generated image.
I needed to take a picture of the screen to be able to show this stain.
[Image: laqCw00.jpg]
I think I can read "INSCREVER-SE" (Sign up, in english) as part of the image.

How did this image come about?
How can I remove it?

Thank you for your help!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Given that WIlber's head in the empty image window is a vector rendering, I doubt that hat you see comes from Gimp. The fact that you cannot get a screen shot is another clue. Maybe ask SamJ?
(12-28-2021, 11:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Given that WIlber's head in the empty image window is a vector rendering, I doubt that hat you see comes from Gimp. The fact that you cannot get a screen shot is another clue. Maybe ask SamJ?

I don't exactly know how to get access to Samj, but I will try.

Strange that I don't remember if before today that background image was already there or when it appeared. Also the image appears to be in Portuguese ("Subscribe"), but my Gimp is all in English.

Ofnuts, thanks for the help!
In the same way that I could not explain the appearance of that image (watermark) on my Gimp screen, I cannot explain today its disappearance.

Maybe restarting the PC might have fixed the problem (after turning it off yesterday, I turned it back on today).

Unsolved mystery, but solved problem (hopefully).

Thx all!
It looked to me like it might be a very transparent overlay, but where that could come from .....
(12-29-2021, 02:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It looked to me like it might be a very transparent overlay, but where that could come from .....

Rich2005,

This was embedded at the bottom of my Gimp screen.
Even restarting Gimp, without opening any image; it already appeared there.
Even opening a new image or creating a new one, it remained below, acting as a legitimate background.
I was afraid it might be some kind of malware.
Fortunately, it hasn't reappeared today.
Today, this problem has reappeared.

However, by chance, I noticed that the same image was superimposed on another screen (other than the one in the Gimp), but with a background color very close to that found in the Gimp #454545.

I then came to the conclusion that it is a monitor problem, and has nothing to do with the Gimp.
In fact, I transferred the Gimp screen to my left monitor and voilà, the 'ghost image' as expected was not there.

I did a search and I think it's about LCD image persistence (ghosting) - https://support.lenovo.com/br/en/solutio...x220i-x220- tablet-x220i-tablet

Just restarting the PC didn't fix it.

It looks like the monitor needs to be idle for some time; time beyond what it takes to restart the PC.

As possible solutions:

➤ Turn off the monitor for extended periods.

➤ Use a screensaver with a rotating image and run it for an extended period. The rotating color palette should remove the lingering image. Even so, it may take a while to remove it.

➤ Run the screen in a single solid color or bright white for an extended period to force the crystals to reset to a single color setting.

At least the mystery seems to have been solved.