Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stroke path colour isnt the one I'm selecting
Hi all

I am strugging with the stroke colour today, I am selecting black as FG I am then stroking the path and it always comes up as a brown/red colour.
Absolutley no idea what is going on. Any ideas ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You are using a pattern as the stroke style, not on your screenshot but the pattern is probably brown

[Image: 0qFbnfp.jpg]
Thank you mate..
(09-23-2018, 08:04 AM)al.da.drone Wrote: Hi all

I am strugging with the stroke colour today, I am selecting black as FG I am then stroking the path and it always comes up as a brown/red colour.
Absolutley no idea what is going on. Any ideas ?

Excuse me, but it seems to me that you are working in an indexed mode, with colors restricted to the palette at the right--shading from yellow to dark red.
If so, and if I do understand things right, Gimp with take 'black' and 'white' to mean the darkest and lightest colour in your palette (maybe those at opposed corners...?) At least, that is the expected behaviour when using, for instance, 'map colors'->'color from gradient', or when converting to indexed mode.
Now, a question: is there a reason for working from the beginning in indexed mode? It seems to me (but I can be wholly wrong) that it would be easier to work in the default RGB space (many, many of Gimp features work only there--or only there give the expected results) and convert at a late stage. Of course, on converting, and depending on the options (dithering...) and the palette chosen, one is likely to get mightly strange results.
However, and unless you really want a multilayered, indexed image, this has worked pretty well for me:
- work in default space
- at any stage, when you are ready to export or want to look at what you have got, do the following:
     edit->copy visible->edit->paste as->new image. 
Go to the new image, and change mode and palette, undoing and redoing until you get what you are after... and keeping the .xcf file as backup/editing space.
That what what I do when wanting to export to indexed .png--but of course it may not be useful for you.
(09-23-2018, 08:55 AM)carmen Wrote: Excuse me, but it seems to me that you are working in an indexed mode, with colors restricted to the palette at the right--shading from yellow to dark red.
...snip....

This is why we ask for a 'full' screenshot of the problem, it can save a whole lot of misdirection.

In this case, top of the screenshot clearly shows the image is RGB.

[Image: BrOArUo.jpg]
Thanks for the advice, I'm very new to any graphic software and really have no idea what on earth is going on most of the time so its good to see where I'm going wrong.