Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surface Pen now writing funky
I have been working with Gimp and other similar shareware on my relatively new Surface Pro 4. The Surface Pen I have is an older version, since the store I bought it from was out of the newest and I wanted to get started right away. Overall it has been working fine, but just in the last day it started writing funky, starting out light and gradually darkening, this happening with each new stroke. What is odd is that it is happening across platform in other programs the same way, no matter what tool/options I've selected. It's undoubtedly due to some unintentional tinkering I've done, but I don't know where to go to fix it. I used to be able to select for a solid black stroke and actually get that, but not now. It's not good when you want to define a space with a solid outline in order to fill it with a color.
(12-30-2017, 05:20 PM)GraphiteGuru Wrote: I have been working with Gimp and other similar shareware on my relatively new Surface Pro 4. The Surface Pen I have is an older version, since the store I bought it from was out of the newest and I wanted to get started right away. Overall it has been working fine, but just in the last day it started writing funky, starting out light and gradually darkening, this happening with each new stroke. What is odd is that it is happening across platform in other programs the same way, no matter what tool/options I've selected. It's undoubtedly due to some unintentional tinkering I've done, but I don't know where to go to fix it. I used to be able to select for a solid black stroke and actually get that, but not now. It's not good when you want to define a space with a solid outline in order to fill it with a color.

I've solved at least part of the problem...I managed to eliminate the gradient line problem. I had somehow managed to select a gradient option in an area below the Dynamics options. However, now all of my lines are a solid grey, even though I have selected solid black as my color. I will keep tinkering, but I would very much like to get back to my solid black line!
Possible causes:
  • "Opacity" slider of the tool not set to 100%
  • Using some "Dynamics" that interacts with opacity (typically some Pressure/Speed > Opacity setting)
  • Painting on a layer whose "Opacity" slider is not 100%
  • Image in color-indexed mode, and no true black on the colormap, so Gimp uses what is closest.