Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surface pro 4 landscape mode cursor offset
Hi I have a Surface pro 4, which runs windows 10 which is all updated and I am attempting to use the surface pen with no clip with Gimp. When in Landscape mode the surface pen works fine with gimp but when the display mode is changed to portrait I get an offset from where the pen cursor is and where the draw mark appears in gimp. I have set the input to screen on the pen, using Gimp 2.10.12. Any suggestions on how to fix this (I have reported the issue to windows)?
I saw your report on gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/ That is the place for Gimp bugs. You might get an answer there or you might not. Gimp is developed in Linux and it is unlikely that any of the developers use a Surface Pro. The same position on this forum. You are relying on some other Surface Pro user to come along Wink

Just out of interest can you give some idea of the offset.
In Portrait orientation, if the pen is at 0,0 according to the rulers, where is it drawing (x,y) on the canvas? I wonder if Gimp still thinks the display is in Landscape orientation. The mouse/tablet settings are held in a file devicerc but nothing I can see in there apart from a (mode screen) setting. Which you have set.
(09-21-2019, 05:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I saw your report on gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/  That is the place for Gimp bugs. You might get an answer there or you might not. Gimp is developed in Linux and it is unlikely that any of the developers use a Surface Pro. The same position on this forum. You are relying on some other Surface Pro user to come along Wink

Just out of interest can you give some idea of the offset.
In Portrait orientation, if the pen is at 0,0 according to the rulers, where is it drawing (x,y) on the canvas? I wonder if Gimp still thinks the display is in Landscape orientation. The mouse/tablet settings are held in a file devicerc but nothing I can see in there apart from a (mode screen) setting. Which you have set.

Hi, here is a pic. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Still just a guess.

From your screenshot that is such a large offset that I suspect Gimp is still working in landscape mode. Something like this:

If you feel up to experimenting you can rename (as a backup) the devicerc file in your Gimp profile.
Stay in Portrait screen orientation, start Gimp and Gimp will make a new default devicerc file. Your old settings are no longer there, go in to Edit -> Devices and put the tablet pen into screen mode. Maybe Gimp will adjust to the new orientation. Might/might-not prove something and of course might be something completely different.
That reverses the issue! It now works in portrait mode but I get the issue when I change the display orientation back to landscape. I tested some more and it turns out I do not have to remove/rename the devicecr file. If I just change the display orientation before I lauch gimp it will work in the display orentation that I launched gimp in but not when I change the display setting over. I suspect this then means that gimp queries the display upon startup and does not register that the windows display orientation has been altered.

Thanks for the tip. I mean I don't have a proper fix yet but I have a crude workaround (quit gimp, set the display orientation and restart gimp).