Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swapping image within selection
Hi all

Super super newbie to GIMP here - I have some experience with QuarkXPress though.

Apologies for the question if the answer is really obvious - have read the manual, searched on a couple of forums, but I'm a bit pushed for time

I've created a selection (I'm working with a circle today, designing a 12" vinyl sticker) with an image inside, and created a mask so I only see what's inside the circle, but my question is: how do I then import a different image inside the circular selection? I'm looking to do this a few times to see how various images look, and the only way I've been able to do it so far is to create a new selection each time I import an image/layer. Otherwise I can't seem to scale the image and move it around within the selection without it being cropped at the circular selection point.

In Quark it was very easy to do, so hoping there's an answer to this. 

Thanks in advance!
Forget how things work in any other application. Gimp has its own way and a steep learning curve.

You say you have a mask? Until you get used to Gimp anything that you need to see inside the mask is best on separate layers. These need to be under the layer with the mask. You can open some other image into existing with 'File -> Open as Layers'

Something like this

[Image: k5vQVpn.jpg]

What you need to know.
The move tool pick on the first solid pixel it comes across. Make sure you pick a solid pixel or enable move the active layer in the tool options.
The yellow dotted line is the original layer boundary, darker line is as being moved. The active layer will be highlighted.
Want to try out different arrangements, Add as many layers as you need. Toggle visibility on/off with the 'eye' icon in the layer dock.

Same image moving the other layer: https://i.imgur.com/LWr7TRX.jpg

Final note: Gimp is a raster editor and works in pixels, do not rely on 'real-world' units. If you intend to print make sure the print resolution is suitable.
I don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve. I'm also not to sure what you mean by a mask (Gimp has layer masks). Perhaps you could attach a screenshot showing all your layers etc.

Is the attached file what you are after? You can move the 2 lower layers around with Move tool.
(xcfgz is a compressed xcf file - use File > Open to open it)

Attached Files
.xcfgz   CircularMask1.xcfgz (Size: 343.47 KB / Downloads: 169)
(05-01-2018, 02:01 PM)Blighty Wrote: I'm also not to sure what you mean by a mask (Gimp has layer masks).

In theory you could punch a hole in a solid layer and that would be a mask.
(05-01-2018, 02:01 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Forget how things work in any other application. Gimp has its own way and a steep learning curve.

You say you have a mask? Until you get used to Gimp anything that you need to see inside the mask is best on separate layers. These need to be under the layer with the mask. You can open some other image into existing with 'File -> Open as Layers'

Something like this

[Image: k5vQVpn.jpg]

What you need to know.
The move tool pick on the first solid pixel it comes across. Make sure you pick a solid pixel or enable move the active layer in the tool options.
The yellow dotted line is the original layer boundary, darker line is as being moved. The active layer will be highlighted.
Want to try out different arrangements, Add as many layers as you need. Toggle visibility on/off with the 'eye' icon in the layer dock.

Same image moving the other layer: https://i.imgur.com/LWr7TRX.jpg

Final note: Gimp is a raster editor and works in pixels, do not rely on 'real-world' units. If you intend to print make sure the print resolution is suitable.

Thanks Rich! Yeah steep learning curve, but I'll get there.

A layer mask yes, but having trouble with it again now. You're spot on, I'm trying to do something like how you've described in your pictures. If you have a couple of minutes could you explain step by step how you did this please? Creating the mask on the background I mean.

(05-01-2018, 02:01 PM)Blighty Wrote: I don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve. I'm also not to sure what you mean by a mask (Gimp has layer masks). Perhaps you could attach a screenshot showing all your layers etc.

Is the attached file what you are after? You can move the 2 lower layers around with Move tool.
(xcfgz is a compressed xcf file - use File > Open to open it)

Hiya Blighty

You DO understand what I'm trying to achieve! Haha yeah the Circular Mask file is just what I'm after, thanks very much for that. If you have a minute could you tell me step by step how you built it? Or alternatively let me know how to change the dimensions of your mask? When I try and scale it up I'm left with a 200x200 square, sorry.

Respect

(05-01-2018, 02:07 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 02:01 PM)Blighty Wrote: I'm also not to sure what you mean by a mask (Gimp has layer masks).

In theory you could punch a hole in a solid layer and that would be a mask.

That would work for me, I'm not too bothered how I do it!

Could you explain how to make a solid layer and punch a (specifically sized) circular hole in it (if you can be bothered)?

Cheers
(05-01-2018, 03:16 PM)quiverpigeon Wrote: Could you explain how to make a solid layer and punch a (specifically sized) circular hole in it (if you can be bothered)?

Cheers

create a solid colour layer
make a circular selection (possibly with the help of snap to canvas edges, aspect ratio 1:1 and expand from center)
hit delete (make sure layer has an alpha channel)
deselect
(05-01-2018, 03:42 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 03:16 PM)quiverpigeon Wrote: Could you explain how to make a solid layer and punch a (specifically sized) circular hole in it (if you can be bothered)?

Cheers

create a solid colour layer
make a circular selection (possibly with the help of snap to canvas edges, aspect ratio 1:1 and expand from center)
hit delete (make sure layer has an alpha channel)
deselect

Got it, thanks. Getting the hang of this, slowly 

Thanks again for all your help Espermaschine Smile
There is a little video on the subject.

https://youtu.be/AjhFDJf-wIc 5 minutes
(05-01-2018, 04:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: There is a little video on the subject.

https://youtu.be/AjhFDJf-wIc  5 minutes

Ah amazing, thanks - will check out some of your other ones too while I'm there.

Thanks again pal!