Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Switching to RGB and Back to File's Color Profile?
Sometimes when I open files I get the following dialog:

Does that mean for example if I opened file with Epson RGB Profile, I have to convert to RGB to work with it and then at the end of my project convert back to Epson RGB?

Are there CMYK profiles that files have? Like if I open design for print with CMYK profile, must I convert it to RGB to work with it or I can work without conversion?

The goal is to have completed project print-ready.

Thanks
(12-16-2017, 06:27 AM)TechnicGeek Wrote: Does that mean for example if I opened file with Epson RGB Profile, I have to convert to RGB to work with it and then at the end of my project convert back to Epson RGB?

You can assign a color profile, providing you have it as a file something.icc

For that epson sRGB profile I do not suppose it is much different to the built in sRGB.

edit: If you cannot find the icc profile on your computer, you can download from Epson.
All sorts depending on printer and paper.   see: https://i.imgur.com/GxHLSg1.jpg
best of luck Wink

Quote:Are there CMYK profiles that files have? Like if I open design for print with CMYK profile, must I convert it to RGB to work with it or I can work without conversion?
The goal is to have completed project print-ready.

When it comes to CMYK, that is a whole different matter. Gimp is a RGB editor and does not support CMYK editing. There is an ancient plugin separate+ that will convert to and export a CMYK image. Very much a last operation when everything else is finished.

There are other ways to convert RGB to CMYK - ImageMagick is one. If you need something with a GUI then use the free application Krita.  There are also free online converters.