Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T-Shirt Design and best ways to approach projects using applications
So I have some experience in Gimp and have designed over (100 ) designs, mainly simple text, although I am still very much so a beginner.
I have very little experience with designing in Inkscape but it appears pretty straight forward.

Here's the situation:
I have a design that was designed in Gimp, which contains a high resolution full color image as well as a text font I used from Gimp.
My dilemma is I want vector quality text but i dont want to vectorize the entire design, as that will change the aesthetic of the image which I want to remain realistic looking.

I am not certain how to go about using Gimp and Inkscape in combination in this case with one another.  Should the text from Inkscape be imported into Gimp or vice versa?

Also, if I take a vectorized image and output it to .png wouldn't the quality be compromised?

When its finalized I need to produce a .png file for use with Merch by Amazon.

Again, the goal is to get the crisp vector text and maintain the image quality and design I currently have in Gimp.

Sorry for the long post.
You don't say what size your image is (in pixels). I presume it will be printed for T-shirts, but you don't say what size the print is.

Text in Gimp is vector so long as you only use the Text Tool. If you manipulate the text layer in any way (rotate, scale, etc) the text layer is rasterized. So if you create your image the correct size in pixels (ie no scaling is needed) the text will remain crisp.

Your final output is png. So even if you use Inkscape the end result is bitmap. The advantage of Inkscape (vector) is that it can be scaled without loss of quality. But if no scaling (or other manipulation) is involved there is no real advantage in using vectors.
The spec from 'Merch by Amazon' is given as we require designs to match our exact requirements: 15x18in, 300DPI, transparent background, PNG, and no more than 25MB in size. Nothing extreme there.

Quote: have a design that was designed in Gimp, which contains a high resolution full color image as well as a text font I used from Gimp.

As Blighty wrote, It ends up as a bitmap. So if you can complete the design with Gimp, use Gimp. You know how Gimp works, Inkscape works in different ways.

If you need to use Inkscape, you can import the image from Gimp as a bitmap and leave as a bitmap. No point converting to a vector, vectors are best for simpler solid shapes.

For text. Although text handling is different in use, when rendered as a png Gimp and Inkscape use the same library files for conversion - the end result is the same.

Edit: Using my netbook so something simple.

[Image: JB4YU2S.jpg]

Inkscape can work in 'real-world' units so set up as 15" x 18" Only 2 'objects' the bitmap from Gimp and some deformed text.

Then exported to a png at 300 ppi to give the size in pixels. The png has a transparent background.

As a note you can do that in Gimp. There are plus's & minuses either way. (and that is me done for the day Wink )
(10-17-2019, 06:51 PM)Blighty Wrote: You don't say what size your image is (in pixels). I presume it will be printed for T-shirts, but you don't say what size the print is.

Text in Gimp is vector so long as you only use the Text Tool. If you manipulate the text layer in any way (rotate, scale, etc) the text layer is rasterized. So if you create your image the correct size in pixels (ie no scaling is needed) the text will remain crisp.

Your final output is png. So even if you use Inkscape the end result is bitmap. The advantage of Inkscape (vector) is that it can be scaled without loss of quality. But if no scaling (or other manipulation) is involved there is no real advantage in using vectors.

Hi,
My bad.
Yes this is intended for a t-shirt design. Merch by Amazon requires a 4500x 5400 300 dpi output to .png

Ahh, so text in Gimp remains vector? 

When I have scaled up my images like 200%- 400 % I can see edges that aren't clean (see attachments)
This comes straight from text using the text tool only

So Im still not honestly clear about the text quality difference between Gimp & Inkscape. If Gimp text is in vector why doesn't it look as 
crisp as Inkscape text?
It is vector only when you produce it. As soon as you do anything with it (and this includes scaling) it becomes a bitmap. Note that scaling text isn't technically correct anyway.
(10-18-2019, 06:12 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: It is vector only when you produce it. As soon as you do anything with it (and this includes scaling) it becomes a bitmap. Note that scaling text isn't technically correct anyway.

What would be correct?
(10-18-2019, 06:34 AM)getsignups Wrote: [What would be correct?

Use the Text Tool to create the text at the correct size.
(Don't do any scaling with other tools.)
(10-18-2019, 06:57 AM)Blighty Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 06:34 AM)getsignups Wrote: [What would be correct?

Use the Text Tool to create the text at the correct size.
(Don't do any scaling with other tools.)
Ok thanks!
My text is still rasterized looking. What is the solution for this?
Again, I have a t-shirt design. Which has a photo and text.The photo i do not want vectorized in the art, but I want the text to be straight like vector.
how can i achieve this?