Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TGA files
Is there a plugin that can effectively open TGA files?  The default one that I have opens them, but all pixels are transparent
Sample file? (you have to zip it to attach it here)
(12-22-2018, 09:53 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Sample file? (you have to zip it to attach it here)

Ok here is an example.

The file is not corrupted, because Krita opens it as intended, but in Gimp 2.10.8 flatpak all pixels are transparent

Attached Files
.zip   test.tga.zip (Size: 678 bytes / Downloads: 493)
The TGA header says the image is 16-bit/pixel with a 1-bit alpha channel. As far as I can tell, this bit (the highest) is not set in any pixel word in the file, so everything should be transparent. Unless the TGA format has the alpha channel backwards (1 means transparent).

Workaround in Gimp; add a layer mask, initialize by transferring the alpha channel to the mask, and delete the mask.
(12-23-2018, 12:29 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The TGA header says the image is 16-bit/pixel with a 1-bit alpha channel. As far as I can tell, this bit (the highest) is not set in any pixel word in the file, so everything should be transparent. Unless the TGA format has the alpha channel backwards (1 means transparent).

Workaround in Gimp; add a layer mask, initialize by transferring the alpha channel to the mask, and delete the mask.

That's interesting.  Every other program opens it just fine: I tested on Krita and even Paint.net in Windows.

It makes me think there is something wrong with the TGA plugin.
There are bug reports about this https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2337 with not much action

Not a format I use but: Eraser + anti-erase to show the (saved) pixels.

[Image: Kdb4HlM.jpg]

However that image is the same in Gimp 2.8, so nothing new