Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.TIFF issues after overwritting
using bentley microstation which often has .tiff attachments (These are engineering drawings that were hand drawn and scanned into the system over the years as industry went more CAD based). We generally use GIMP to erase elements from the drawing, use {file -> overwrite fileName.tiff} then open the file in microstation and draw in the CAD elements. The tiff and DGN files are located in the same file location, microstation opens fine until I use GIMP and overwrite the tiff. when I try to open the CAD file the program produces an error and closes. I can change the .tiff file name in which case the .DGN no longer references the file (normally attached as a Raster?) and the CAD will open without the .tiff. 

A get around I can use (though it messes up the presentation) is to open the .tiff in paint, hit save, and close it. then it's normal operating procedure. What's happening here? is GIMP changing the .tiff format? everyone else in my department has zero trouble with this so I know how it SHOULD work, but it just doesn't. tackled the issue with IT and microstation support and it appears to be a GIMP issue. 

Any and all help/suggestions are welcome! thanks folks.
20 years since I (thankfully) last used Microstation (you have my sympathy)

Sometimes these old CAD tiff files are in fax format - CCITT and there are sub-groups of that 'flavour'

There have been problems with the Gimp 2.10 tiff , I have Gimp plugins that complain about the tiff header format, so I tend to avoid it.

When exporting, try unticking the save layers option and all those save thumbnail / save XMP / save... options.

When it comes to compression, uncompressed should be fail-safe unless it is one of those fax formats.

Not much you can do, ensure a backup of original and try some of the export compression options
(11-10-2021, 06:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: 20 years since I (thankfully) last used Microstation (you have my sympathy)

Sometimes these old CAD tiff files are in fax format - CCITT and there are sub-groups of that 'flavour'

There have been problems with the Gimp 2.10 tiff , I have Gimp plugins that complain about the tiff header format, so I tend to avoid it.

When exporting, try unticking the save layers option and all those save thumbnail / save XMP / save... options.

When it comes to compression, uncompressed should be fail-safe unless it is one of those fax formats.

Not much you can do, ensure a backup of original and try some of the export compression options

Yeah Microstation is something else when compared to any Autodesk program, but some features are nifty.... man, I think you solved it. I unclicked all mentioned and it disassociated the .tiff with the drawing. I opened it up again and clicked Layers but left everything else unclicked and it worked! thank you so much. I've been scratching my head with this since Monday morning haha.

Thanks again!