Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TWAIN problem
TWAIN problem

Hi, I've tried to open an image via TWAIN and received the following error message > Cx1magicU.dll not found. I'm fairly new to Gimp but everything else seems to be working fine. Does anyone know if this may be a problem with my installation or have I missed something in setting up TWAIN in Gimp? My TWAIN device works properly with my other imaging programs (Paintshop Pro and Photoshop, both old versions) so I don't think that can be an issue. Thanks, Dave H

Gimp version 2.8.22
Win XP
Welcome to gimp-forum.net

I think this might be difficult to solve at a distance. Which make of scanner? That file is not part of Gimp. Can you take a screenshot of the actual error message and post it somewhere.

If the appropriate twain drivers are installed, Gimp should pick up the scanner: This is a Canon scanner so old that it only works in XP (or linux ). File -> Create -> Scanner/Camera should show like this

[Image: NIW4DMT.jpg]

It could be that Gimp 2.8.22 twain files are too recent for a 32 bit OS as WinXP. The installer package does install the 32 bit version but.... The Gimp twain file is a plug-in same as most of Gimp

Looking at twain.exe from Gimp 2.8.4 (WinXP) that is 39,644B and Gimp 2.8.22 (Win7 32 bit) 42,056 so there is a difference there.

Sorry, not much help.
Photo 
[quote pid='4916' dateline='1514821771']
  1. rich2005
  2. Welcome to gimp-forum.net
I think this might be difficult to solve at a distance. Which make of scanner? That file is not part of Gimp. Can you take a screenshot of the actual error message and post it somewhere.

If the appropriate twain drivers are installed, Gimp should pick up the scanner: This is a Canon scanner so old that it only works in XP (or linux ). File -> Create -> Scanner/Camera should show like this

[Image: NIW4DMT.jpg]

It could be that Gimp 2.8.22  twain files are too recent for a 32 bit OS as WinXP. The installer package does install the 32 bit version but.... The Gimp twain file is a plug-in same as most of Gimp

Looking at twain.exe from Gimp 2.8.4 (WinXP) that is 39,644B and Gimp 2.8.22 (Win7 32 bit) 42,056 so there is a difference there.

Sorry, not much help.
[/quote]

Many thanks for your advice.  I've actually now uninstalled the current version of Gimp and installed an earlier version (2.8.10) to get around the possible incompatibility problem with XP but the result is just the same. I've attached a screenshot of the message. The device I'm trying to use is unusual since it's a Leica microscope camera which is connected to the PC via Firewire 1394a and I'm wondering whether this might be the issue but I can't see how.  Unless I can resolve this I'll have to carry on using my old programs and then open saved files in Gimp which is a bit of a drag.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can reproduce that, used any-old-leica firewire TWAIN installer and can find the file cxImagicU.dll and get that error in Gimp.

[Image: 2ntb6fS.jpg]

Very much a longshot, copy that file cxImagicU.dll from your installation to the Gimp directory C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin and at least the device now shows up in Gimp.

[Image: lwIJCGp.jpg]

Obviously, not having a leica to attach, that is as far as I can go. No guarantees that there is no further error waiting to show up Smile
(01-02-2018, 10:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I can reproduce that, used any-old-leica firewire TWAIN installer and can find the file cxImagicU.dll and get that error in Gimp.

[Image: 2ntb6fS.jpg]

Very much a longshot, copy that file cxImagicU.dll from your installation to the Gimp directory C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin and at least the device now shows up in Gimp.

[Image: lwIJCGp.jpg]

Obviously, not having a leica to attach, that is as far as I can go. No guarantees that there is no further error waiting to show up Smile

SOLVED!   Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much for your help. I could never have worked this out by myself. Everything is working perfectly now,  thanks again.  Dave H