Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary lines for filling border?
Is it possible to make temporary lines to serve as a border for filling, and then when we are finished with the filling, we delete these lines? Or what do you suggest? Because sometimes there are open areas on my image and I must complete and close the gaps by drawing with brush or pencil there but they stay.
(06-18-2021, 07:55 AM)snowforest Wrote: Is it possible to make temporary lines to serve as a border for filling, and then when we are finished with the filling, we delete these lines? Or what do you suggest?

Indeed you can make "temporary lines" using a new layer, then when you fill with the bucket tool, check the "Fill by line art detection" and select the source
see below

then when you don't need anymore, just delete those layers you draw to close line art
(06-18-2021, 08:09 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 07:55 AM)snowforest Wrote: Is it possible to make temporary lines to serve as a border for filling, and then when we are finished with the filling, we delete these lines? Or what do you suggest?

Indeed you can make "temporary lines" using a new layer, then when you fill with the bucket tool, check the "Fill by line art detection" and select the source
see below

then when you don't need anymore, just delete those layers you draw to close line art

Thanks
So what I did was (for better detail):
-I first created a new layer
-Drew my temp lines there
-I selected the area I drew
-I went back to original layer (this step is critical here)
-The selection still active, I filled inside the area
-And when I deleted the new layer, the fill appears in original layer now

And it works for pattern and gradient fill too
Addition: If there was another object inside that selected layer, it gets covered so beware. For example I wanted to apply the method again for an area, in which I had a plus sign. When I applied the steps above, the plus sign also gets covered with the fill. I had to do the fill in the usual way then, on original layer, where we can select the area with the fuzzy select tool, which can exclude the pus sign....
(06-22-2021, 06:59 AM)snowforest Wrote: Addition: If there was another object inside that selected layer, it gets covered so beware. For example I wanted to apply the method again for an area, in which I had a plus sign. When I applied the steps above, the plus sign also gets covered with the fill. I had to do the fill in the usual way then, on original layer, where we can select the area with the fuzzy select tool, which can exclude the pus sign....

It's because you did not adjust correctly the 3 sliders:
try
  • Maximum growing size (very low)
  • Line art detection threshold (high or full)
  • Maximum gap length (very low)

Also if you have a black/dark BG (below 51 % gray) you might not be able to use the bucket tool correctly in this mode (line art detection)