Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Tool: Arrange Text in Columns
Hello,

Does anyone know of a script or plugin that can take the text entered into a single text frame (in this case a large horizontal rectangle) and automatically divide the text into multiple columns (like a newspaper)?

I can of course create the multiple text frames (columns) individually and then copy portions of the text into each frame individually if need be, but it would be so much easier to make edits to the text if all of the text was contained in a single text frame.

Not the end of the world if this doesn't exist, but if it does then it would be a huge time saver.   The other option of course is to just make sure that I get all of my text right the first time, and not have to go back and edit it again after dividing and copying into the individual text frames.   Smile

Thank You!
None I know of, and that would be pretty hairy to do in Gimp (the code would have to compute all the line breaks). IMHO if you have this kind of need, you should look into typesetting applications such as Scribus.
(08-21-2020, 06:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: None I know of, and that would be pretty hairy to do in Gimp (the code would have to compute all the line breaks). IMHO if you have this kind of need, you should look into typesetting applications such as Scribus.

Thanks!  I knew it was kind of a shot in the dark.

I think I will still just stick with doing both the photographs and text in GIMP. That way I can export to PDF one time, from GIMP, and not have additional instances of importing and exporting involving an additional program.  I may be wrong, but I think that single export will give me the highest quality.

BTW, thanks for the Scribus tip.  I do have Scribus installed already and my original plan was to do the pages' backgrounds and photographs in GIMP and then import into Scribus to lay the text on top of them, but now I am going to try everything in GIMP-- that way I can change either backgrounds, photos, or text right up until the last moment in a single editing environment.

Thank you!