Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble rotating image + other questions
I rotate - manually using my eye to judge. Then I try to rotate again - the option for arbitary rotation is now missing. Why? Sad

All I see now is 'Guillotine'

I'm using:

Image -> Transform -> Arbitary Angle (or something - I can't see it now).

What am I doing wrong?

What I would also like to do is... make a selection... and then rotate the image underneath... how can I do this?

ALSO... something else that has been bugging me... the ants... CTRL D should get rid of.
It doesn't Sad
I don't want to get rid of the ants as such - just NOT have them there when I want with a quick keyboard shortcut.

ALSO... my Save for Web option has gone from the menu. I haven't updated my current version or anything. Where has it gone? It used to be there - even if the image was way too big - it was still there!

Is it the newer version of Gimp having different controls or something?

Thanks.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
1) There is no Image>Transform>Arbitary Angle in 2.8 either. This is perhaps Layer>Transform>Arbitrary rotation... (still there in 2.10)

2) This is what the Rotate tools is for.

3) The visibility of the ants is controlled by Ctrl-T, no Ctrl-D (at least in the English version). To check if th is is still the case in your setup, Edit>Keyboard shortcuts and then enter view-show-selection in the search field.

4) Save-for-web is an add-on, so depending  on how it was added to your 2.8, it could have been left behind. Best check if there is a version compatible with 2.10 first.
(06-26-2018, 06:01 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1) There is no Image>Transform>Arbitary Angle in 2.8 either. This is perhaps Layer>Transform>Arbitrary rotation... (still there in 2.10)

2) This is what the Rotate tools is for.

3) The visibility of the ants is controlled by Ctrl-T, no Ctrl-D (at least in the English version). To check if th is is still the case in your setup, Edit>Keyboard shortcuts and then enter view-show-selection in the search field.

4) Save-for-web is an add-on, so depending  on how it was added to your 2.8, it could have been left behind. Best check if there is a version compatible with 2.10 first.

1. aha!! yes u are right of course. Smile

2. ctrl T - brings up the scale tool.
i'm looking at the keyboard shortcuts now. but cant see anything for deselcting ants - looking under selection menu.

3. aaah... well yes... i might have had a plugin. i assumed this was a new thing from gimp.
i don't remember installing onto my current laptop (i definitely added to another one - but not this one). a little confused. it's back now in the menu as far as a i can see.
Gimp Ver: 2.10.2
(06-26-2018, 02:00 PM)enginestar Wrote: 2. ctrl T - brings up the scale tool.
i'm looking at the keyboard shortcuts now. but cant see anything for deselcting ants - looking under selection menu.

Look in the view menu - definitely ctrl-T here but can be toggled on/off via the menu.

Quote:3. aaah... well yes... i might have had a plugin . i assumed this was a new thing from gimp.

export for web was an old compiled plugin that does not now work in Gimp 2.10
(06-26-2018, 12:58 AM)enginestar Wrote: ALSO... something else that has been bugging me... the ants... CTRL D should get rid of.
It doesn't Sad
I don't want to get rid of the ants as such - just NOT have them there when I want with a quick keyboard shortcut.

CTRL + D = is the Photoshop command for deselect.....

in Gimp, deselect is CTRL + Shift + A (or use the menu: Select -> None)

the logic behind that key kombination is probably because its the opposite of select all (CTRL + A)

if you want to hide the marching ants but keep the selection in effect:
CTRL + T (or use the menu: View -> Show Selection)