Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text to path not highlighted
I am trying to make my text follow a path I've created. I'm in the text layer and have a path created. When I right click on the text, Text to Path, is not highlighted. Why?
There is a difference between "Text to Path" and "Text along Path".
"Text to Path" will create a path from text.
"Text along Path" will make text follow a path.

To make some text follow a path:

First
Create the text and the path as in image 1 below.
Note the T icon next to the text in the layers dialogue. That means that the text is still text and has not been to converted to a bitmap layer.

Second
Use Layer > Text along Path. The text is converted to a path and put on the curved path. (Image 2)
Have a look at the Paths Dialogue to see the 2 paths.
Now use Edit > Fill Path (on a new transparent layer).

You may want to use the Ofnuts Text Along Path plug-in. It has more features and is easier to use.

ofn-text-along-path.zip available from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa...s/scripts/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-28-2020, 12:22 AM)ttravis Wrote: I am trying to make my text follow a path I've created. I'm in the text layer and have a path created. When I right click on the text, Text to Path, is not highlighted. Why?

"Text along path" is disabled if there is no path. If you alter the text layer outside of the text editor, it becomes a plain bitmap layer, but then "Path from text" and "Text along path" are not even show n in menus.
(01-28-2020, 07:40 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 12:22 AM)ttravis Wrote: I am trying to make my text follow a path I've created. I'm in the text layer and have a path created. When I right click on the text, Text to Path, is not highlighted. Why?

"Text along path" is disabled if there is no path. If you alter the text layer outside of the text editor, it becomes a plain bitmap layer, but then "Path from text" and "Text along path" are not even show n in menus.

Thanks--this was helpful.