Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text tool bar not working right
First off I can not change the font! I have attached a screen shot to describe the problem

So any advice please?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

With the floating box I have found you have to write the font name in there. Otherwise change it in your tool options box (In there you will get a drop down list). You should always have your tool options box open so you can see what can be done with your selected tool
[attachment=9483]
The tool options box is at the bottom

Unless you want to make your text in the same text box different sizes and fonts, don't use the floating tool box to edit.

Smile
(03-02-2023, 05:46 AM)sallyanne Wrote: With the floating box I have found you have to write the font name in there. Otherwise change it in your tool options box (In there you will get a drop down list). You should always have your tool options box open so you can see what can be done with your selected tool

Unless you want to make your text in the same text box different sizes and fonts, don't use the floating tool box to edit.

Works for me.

Sans is a problematic name because it often doesn't really exist in your font collection, it may just be a place holder for whatever sans-serif font is the default on your system (Arial, Calibri,  Helvetica, Liberation...). So if you want to test this dialog better use a real font name.

@OP the small widget is really to change the font/color/spacing of some characters. If you use it to set the font of the whole text, you'll lose the font if you copy-paste something over the text because the pasted text will use the settings in the Tool options.
(03-02-2023, 05:21 AM)Chef James Wrote: First off I can not change the font! I have attached a screen shot to describe the problem

So any advice please?

Advice, do not try and make Gimp look like PS, at least until well versed with how Gimp works...but that is only a personal view.

The on-cavas dialogue is for editing text that is already entered and selected. It can be very useful but for starting off a new text layer or changing all of the text use the Text Tool Options which you should have somewhere. If not  Windows -> Dockable Diaglogs -> Tool Options (top of the list).

This 30 second animation, using selected text then using tool https://i.imgur.com/Bbr9Lcg.mp4
Never has worked for me Ofnuts. Clicking on the 'font' area does nothing, even if I clear it. It still does nothing

Smile
(03-03-2023, 03:57 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Never has worked for me Ofnuts. Clicking on the 'font' area does nothing, even if I clear it. It still does nothing

You do have to type in at least the first letter to get a choice of font.

back to see: https://i.imgur.com/Bbr9Lcg.mp4
I also had the same problem, but now I learned something new: easy to use and working on gimp 2.10.34. Thanks rich and ofnuts.
Thank you @ rich that works for me now in 2.10.32

Smile
(03-02-2023, 05:46 AM)sallyanne Wrote: With the floating box I have found you have to write the font name in there. Otherwise change it in your tool options box (In there you will get a drop down list). You should always have your tool options box open so you can see what can be done with your selected tool

but i cant find how or where you bring up the tool options box
at the bottom of what?
(03-05-2023, 10:27 PM)Chef James Wrote: but i cant find how or where you bring up the tool options box
at the bottom of what?

Go to the top menu Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Tool Options is the first on the list