Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text tool misbehaving
Hello:
I am working on an image and already have lots of text layers.  
Now, when I try to add another text item it pops up as though I am editing a pre-existing text layer complete with the text and the message that it has been modified and I must choose between editing and creating a new layer.  
This happens no matter where I click on the image with the text tool.  And no matter what layer is selected, when I click with the text tool the pre existing layer is selected.

I want a new text item.
What have I done and how do I undo it?

Edit:
I have figured it out.
When I resized my canvas I resized all my layers to the canvas size. (Bad move)
So when I click on the canvas it thinks I am clicking on my text box.
I tried selecting the text and using 'crop to selection' but that didn't change the layer boundary.
I had to use the 'layer boundary size' dialog and enter width, length and resize.
I did not see your edit. If you did a layers to image size good chance the text is not text anymore, but I will post anyway

It really does help if you give OS and version of Gimp. Gimp 2.10 has a slightly different way of implementing textboxes, however as a guess it goes something like this. 

1. Text can be in a dynamic (even dymamic Smile ) text box or a fixed text box. You can swap from one to the other using the pop-up menu.

2. With fixed text box and the text tool active, click in it and whatever layer you are on, you switch to the text layer for editing.

3. Click outside with text tool active and a new text layer is created.

How to get round it.

The obvious, if a fixed text box is largely empty, reduce the size with the handles or make it dynamic.

If you have a fixed text box that is completely full or you want text over the top then try the old use editor option.
Start a new text layer, even if it is off the canvas, enter the text in the editor, then move the text layer into required position.

With text tool active ctrl-alt  click-n-drag moves text otherwise move a text layer using the move tool with move active layer enabled.