Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cursor won't move on the canvas. No matter how many times I reinstall GIMP.
This is what has been happening, as shown in this GIF.

[Image: ZydUDPn.gif]

I've had 2.10.8 for a while on my Windows 10 laptop and recently changed to 2.10.14 via uninstall in an attempt to fix this! Unfortunately the first part of this image is the vast norm and the part where it actually makes marks is rare and random (in fact it went back to no longer moving immediately after the GIF stopped recording) and even when that happens I can't switch tools. What in the world is causing this? How do I fix it?

Note, the transformation tools and filters/image adjustments work fine. It's just the drawing part which I need most
Reinstalling Gimp rarely fixes a problem that is unique to a user. Settings are held in your Gimp profile:
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 and are carried over from any previous installation.

First thing to try is rename that to C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10-backup restart Gimp and let it make a new default profile. See if it makes any difference.

Next thing, are you using a graphics tablet ? If you are, leave it unplugged and try with a regular mouse. Not using a mouse, only a laptop touch-pad? Borrow a mouse.
'I've had 2.10.8 for a while on my Windows 10 laptop and recently changed to 2.10.14 via uninstall in an attempt to fix this! ' 

If using a mouse don't solve the problem then  I think it is a problem with your graphics card or driver. I had this problem a few years ago on different graphic programs and the problem was solved by replacing the graphics card. 
What says Edit>Preferences>Image Windows>Mouse pointers?

I know I'm about 3 years late to the party, but I found a solution since I was also having the exact same issue. I made an account just to post this.
For reference I am using:
XOPPOX D161 Drawing Tablet with Screen 15.6 Inch Graphics Monitor
GIMP 2.10.36
Windows 10

Here is what I did to solve the problem:
Edit > Input Devices
I selected all of the devices that are associated with my tablet, which are listed FOR ME as "Pen Tablet Eraser", "Pen Tablet Pressure Stylus", and "Pen Tablet Puck". These options may appear slightly different depending on your tablet, but are essentially the same.
Under "Mode" change the option from "Disabled" to "Screen" for each device. Then obviously click "Save". This fixed my issue with the cursor not wanting to go onto the canvas for me.

For me, I also had the issue of it still not actually drawing anything even though the cursor finally would go onto the canvas. To fix this, I selected the "Channels" tab on the right side of the screen by default, and selected "Red", "Green", "Blue", and "Alpha" by clicking on each once. Doing this allowed me to finally draw.

Hope this helps someone.
(03-19-2024, 02:44 AM)dplumes Wrote: I know I'm about 3 years late to the party, but I found a solution since I was also having the exact same issue. I made an account just to post this.
For reference I am using:
XOPPOX D161 Drawing Tablet with Screen 15.6 Inch Graphics Monitor
GIMP 2.10.36
Windows 10

Here is what I did to solve the problem:
Edit > Input Devices
I selected all of the devices that are associated with my tablet, which are listed FOR ME as "Pen Tablet Eraser", "Pen Tablet Pressure Stylus", and "Pen Tablet Puck". These options may appear slightly different depending on your tablet, but are essentially the same.
Under "Mode" change the option from "Disabled" to "Screen" for each device. Then obviously click "Save". This fixed my issue with the cursor not wanting to go onto the canvas for me.

For me, I also had the issue of it still not actually drawing anything even though the cursor finally would go onto the canvas. To fix this, I selected the "Channels" tab on the right side of the screen by default, and selected "Red", "Green", "Blue", and "Alpha" by clicking on each once. Doing this allowed me to finally draw.

Hope this helps someone.

Having the channels deselected is not normal... I assume this state is saved in the XCF but if you create an image from scratch (or load a JPG/PNG) these channels should be all selected by default. Is it the case?