Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Problem
Okay, basic question. I just got started trying out Gimp and what I'm finding is that when I try to edit something on a higher layer it changes the background image instead of just affecting that layer. What am I doing wrong?
Quote:..snip.. What am I doing wrong?

Need more information. How exactly are you editing ? Which tool are you using ? Are you using a selection ? Are you using the active layer ?

Sometimes a screenshot provides the clues / answers. Better than a thousand words. Make sure it is exactly what you are trying to do and shows the tools / tool options / layers docks
(07-18-2021, 11:56 AM)WhiskeySal Wrote: Okay, basic question. I just got started trying out Gimp and what I'm finding is that when I try to edit something on a higher layer it changes the background image instead of just affecting that layer. What am I doing wrong?

Make sure that the layer you want to edit is really the active layer (the one highlighted in the Layers list).
[attachment=6373 Wrote:rich2005 pid='24643' dateline='1626614858']    

Need more information. How exactly are you editing ? Which tool are you using ? Are you using a selection ? Are you using the active layer ?

Sometimes a screenshot provides the clues / answers. Better than a thousand words. Make sure it is exactly what you are trying to do and shows the tools / tool options / layers docks

Well, what happens is that I'll create a 'Background image' and duplicate it in 'Layer 1'. When I try to rotate the 'Layer 1' image, the background image changes as well.
(07-18-2021, 02:18 PM)WhiskeySal Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 01:27 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

Well, what happens is that I'll create a 'Background image' and duplicate it in 'Layer 1'. When I try to rotate the 'Layer 1' image, the background image changes as well.

Since you are not rotating the layer with the Text tool, either show us the real tool options, or you are using the canvas rotation (View ➤ Flip and rotate ➤ ...) which is just a presentation thing and doesn't alter the image, when you should be using Tools ➤ Transform tools ➤ Rotate to rotate the layer.
Quote:Well, what happens is that I'll create a 'Background image' and duplicate it in 'Layer 1'. When I try to rotate the 'Layer 1' image, the background image changes as well.

Your screenshot shows an empty transparent layer and using the text tool.

To duplicate the layer use Layer -> Duplicate Layer

Then to rotate the active layer, (not easy to see active layer with that horrible black theme. Look for the white border) , use either the rotate tool and click in the canvas or Layer -> Transform -> Arbitrary rotation If you have a problem with the former. Both give the same little dialogue. When rotated click the Rotate button to apply.

..and a couple of hints...
Parts of the layer might be outside the bounds of the canvas, you can toggle view everything using View -> Show All
If you need to increase the canvas size to contain all layers use Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers

50 second animation demo of that: https://i.imgur.com/6YvDbyh.mp4
Okay, thanks! It looks like this actually solved the issue.