Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those Pesky rc files
I've installed and configured gimp dozens of times over the past couple years. (fresh, new installs on blank media, not "re-installs")

I've found it to be a real time saver to just copy the gimprc and sessionrc files from an existing install that I'm already happy with, and paste them into the */.config/gimp/2.10 directory on the new installation.   Works quite well. Makes the new install just the way I like it

However. I'm not finding a file that contains the start up defaults for:  Which tool is selected  on start up, which brush is selected on start up, and which pattern is selected on start up.  Easy to change by just making the desired selections and then closing gimp....but I'm just curious which file that info is recorded into as gimp is shut down?

I just back-up the whole profile(s) GIMP / GIMP-Appimage

The last used tools are in contextrc but then for settings, they are stored in the tool-options folder in the appropriate gimp-xxxx-tool file.

Have to confess, since Gimp 2.8, first thing I do is set up how I want to start up, then turn off all the "save on exit" in Edit > Preferences
Gimp 2.10 is a bit annoying, since that only seems to apply to the paint tool group and the text tool.
(03-13-2022, 09:48 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I just back-up the whole profile(s) GIMP / GIMP-Appimage

Thanks for all info in your reply. Regarding just the portion that I've quoted. That is an interesting suggestion. 

I'm not using an appimage nor a flatpak, so just to make sure that I am on the same page,... are you suggesting that I copy the entire /2.10 directory, and transplant that, in it's entirety?

That is what I do, because of the way I work. A slight caveat, I keep most resources (brushes / fonts / scripts / plugins...) in an 'easy-to-get-to' folder, (edit: ~/gimp210 + subfolders Add the paths in Preferences ) not in the profile. Both regular install 2.10.30 and appimage 2.10.14 share this. Gets backed up separately.
(03-14-2022, 08:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That is what I do, because of the way I work. A slight caveat, I keep most resources (brushes / fonts / scripts / plugins...) in an 'easy-to-get-to'  folder, (edit: ~/gimp210 + subfolders Add the paths in Preferences )  not in the profile. Both regular install 2.10.30 and appimage 2.10.14 share this. Gets backed up separately.

Definitely sounds worth trying.    Wink

Thanks on the contextrc heads up as well.   I had gone  looking for such a file, at length, so I'm surprised that I hadn't looked in that particular one.  I guess the name didn't come across as a likely location for what I was seeking?  better now, thanks 2 U