Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make something glow in GIMP
Hi, I was trying to create some badges as in gaming type. Some of them are really complex and has a very bright glow like outline. Something like this

It would be nice to know how to do this using GIMP. Thanks.
(06-03-2021, 03:29 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Hi, I was trying to create some badges as in gaming type. Some of them are really complex and has a very bright glow like outline. Something like this

It would be nice to know how to do this using GIMP. Thanks.

You might try using the airbrush tool in "erase" mode.

I created the two tone background, then the black layer (with alpha) above it. Then I painted the arch using the paintbrush tool in erase mode stroking a path.

Then with the airbrush tool  also in erase mode, at roughly double the size of the original paintbrush, @ 90% opacity, stroked the same path. and got this:

[Image: moz5OwP.png]

Playing around with different values for opacity of the airbrush, allows you pretty fine control of how much "glow" you want.

You can also get some neat effects playing around with Filters --> Light and Shadows--> Supernova on the underlying two tone back ground (before doing the black overlay mask)if you desire a starburst effect

A lot depends on the background, black is not so difficult.

Make some text and fill with a gradient. A few ways of doing this, I go the layermask route. Then apply layer mask or new-from-visible.
The GEGL filter bloom is not bad for a gentle glow. Fliters -> Light&Shadows -> Bloom

40 second demo: https://i.imgur.com/KT9CPMi.mp4
Thanks @rickk @rich2005

I was able to make one. Smile