Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp prints multi page documents on one page
and won't let me resize the printing larger (it will let me go smaller)

I imported a PDF into gimp, choosing the option to import each page as a layer. 

I manually typed a PPI of 600. The previous imports into gimp using the automatic PPI of 100 were low res and blurry - much less clear than Acrobat Reader showed them. This new import appeared to retain sharpness that the 100PPI dropped.

I expanded the canvas and distributed the layers (pages) of the PDF, so now I have an image 8.5 inches across the top and (number of pages times 11.5 inches) down.

When I try to print this, gimp tries to print the whole thing on one 8.5 by 11 inch sheet. I got similar results with a 2 page or a 12 page import.

I cannot increase the print size on the print dialog (image properties tab)- the maximum it'll go is 100.9mm by 250mm. I can type in a larger size but when the caret leaves the field it immediately snaps back down. Gimp does let me reduce the size.

under image-> print size dialog it lets me change print size but when I actually go to print the size has returned to the maximum of 100x250mm on the image properties tab and again I can only decrease the size, not increase it. 

I'm using version 2.8.22.
I do not quite follow your procedure. More information required.

Are you trying to print multiple layers (say a gimp .xcf file) directly from Gimp, one layer per sheet?

Not possible, export your layers to individual images,. There are scripts for that, then print each image separately. Various ways of doing that economically. Use an application such as XnView.

Will you post a screen shot of Gimp, including the layers dialog, as you have it just before printing.

Apart from that, 600 ppi is a little over-the-top. 300 ppi is more than adequate for importing a PDF.
Your forum profile says you use Windows/Linux - Which one for this work flow?
Gimp is an image editor. It does not have pages like a word processor has.

When you import a pdf into Gimp it becomes an image and loses much of the pdf characteristics. eg text can no longer be edited as text as it has been converted to an image.

When you use things like (Image > Print Size) the image is not altered.
There is a relation between pixels; print size; resolution (dpi)
That window just shows this relation.
For example:
a 300x300 pixel image @ 300dpi will print 1"x1"
a 300x300 pixel image @ 100dpi will print 3"x3"

"I expanded the canvas and distributed the layers (pages) of the PDF, so now I have an image 8.5 inches across the top and (number of pages times 11.5 inches) down"
This does not create word processor style pages. It is still just a single image, and will print as such.

You are limited by the paper size of your printer. If it is letter size you cannot print larger than that. The printer driver won't let you set a size larger than that.

If you want to print multiple pages you have several options:

6a
In Gimp, keep the layers as imported. Do not resize the canvas. In the layers dialogue use the eye to make all but one layer invisible. Print. Do the same for the next layer. Print. .... and so on.

6b
Use Page Layout software (eg Scribus). Create multiple pages in that. Get the layers created in Gimp and put them into Scribus, one image per page. You now have one multipage document.

6c
Use wordprocessor type software (eg Libre Office) to open the pdf. Results vary, depending on the software used to create the pdf and the software used to open the pdf. Again, you now have one multipage document.
Thanks for the answers Rich I think I get it now.

> Are you trying to print multiple layers (say a gimp .xcf file) directly from Gimp, one layer per sheet?

I had actually merged all layers into one - I needed to do cuts and pastes across all the pages and to save time I merged them.

So I guess part of my problem came from an issue I hadn't even realized was an issue.

Thanks for the answers Blighty, 6b looks like my best bet.

> When you import a pdf into Gimp it becomes an image and loses much of the pdf characteristics. eg text can no longer be edited as text as it has been converted to an image.

they are scans packaged into PDFs. I was importing into gimp to see if I could get clearer images.

That work was / is on Windows 7 machines.