Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Path lines and arrows changed from solid to broken
I've been using Gimp for some time (this forum has been invaluable) and lines and arrows I drew with path were always solid.

They recently they changed to broken lines for no reason I can account for, the breaks varying according to the orientation of the line.  Try as I might including looking at how to create broken lines I have not been able to get the solid lines back, advice please.

I'm attaching examples of how they used to be and how they are if drawn now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You are likely:
  • Stroking paths with a paint tool (using the "Line" is always cleaner if you want something simple)

• In your paint tool options (the paintbrush, likely) the "Aspect ratio" isn't 0 (or you are using Dynamics that chnage the aspect ratio)(Edit: you probably also have the spacing set to something big, when it should be <10 if you want a continuous line).

Well, thanks, I now have solid lines but I don't know what I have changed to achieve that!

Stroke path was exactly as in the above, and when I changed Paintbrush to be the same as the above it is now doing solid lines.  But when I changed the items you specifically mentioned, and some others, to something else I couldn't get the broken lines back again - not that I want them you understand, I'd just like to know exactly what causes them.  The ends of the lines and points on the arrows are also rounded now, and that's something else I can't change with any of the settings I have tried, but I can live with that!

As I say, thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It depends if you stroke a line or stroke with a paint tool.

If you stroke a **line**, the "pointiness" is defined by the "join" style (must be "Miter", and with a sufficient Miter limit if you want a point):

If you stroke with a paintbrush, the points have the radius of the brush which itself is the half the width of the line, so you end up with essentially the same thing as stroking a line with a round join.
When I started messing about with that I got the dashed lines again but this time with a solid arrow head, and it took me ages to get back to solid lines again.

Undecided
(01-25-2023, 12:50 PM)PaulH Wrote: When I started messing about with that I got the dashed lines again but this time with a solid arrow head, and it took me ages to get back to solid lines again.

Undecided

This is the "Dash pattern" a bit further down under the line style. One of the choices is a continuous line.
Didn't change that and confirmed it was 'continuous', one of the things I first looked at. I can change the Stroke Path, Line Style from continuous to various patterns and Stroke draws that, but it has no effect on what is drawn by the arrow add-in which is what I want to use.

Now arrows have gone back to the broken lines again and the only way I can get it back to the smooth lines in #3 is by changing the paintbrush options to those shown in #2. But I did that before and somewhere it lost it, but now if I close Gimp and re-open it, either with an existing image or a new one, it keeps the smooth lines. But when I look at the Paintbrush options they have gone back to what they were before, and changing them further still draws solid arrows.

Frustrating.
Must be an old plugin. Until 2.10 there was no API for Edit > >Stroke path. Has the plugin even been update to support this?