Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transparent Background Troubles
I am using GIMP 2.10.4. I am trying to create a logo with a transparent background and I think that I know how to make the background transparent, but after I do, I can't draw on it. I can draw if I don't try and make it transparent. This is what I have been doing to make it transparent:

First, I open a new window. Then I go to "File" and select "New" from the menu. In the "create a new image" box, click the arrow next to "px" and select inches from the drop down menu. I enter my desired print size next to "width" and "height" and select "ok".
Then I go over to the right side of the window where the layer is listed and I right click on the black square with the word "background" next to it. I select "Edit later attributes", I set the opacity to zero, and I select ok.

After I do all this, I try to draw a line, and I can't.

Please help!
(08-06-2018, 04:50 PM)sarahladdnewton Wrote: I set the opacity to zero

That is the problem. The opacity must be 100%

Quote:Then I go to "File" and select "New" from the menu. In the "create a new image" box, click the arrow next to "px" and select inches from the drop down menu. I enter my desired print size next to "width" and "height" and select "ok".

At this stage, select the Advanced Options. There is an option Fill With. Set this to Transparency.

Just a note: You have selected a size in inches. Just remember that Gimp (and all bitmaps) work in pixels.
When you do "File"/"New", click on advanced options and choose to fill with transparency. Then you have a transparent background and can create other layers above with your desired images.
TL;DR: Don't set the layer opacity to 0... Just makes sure that 1) the ayer has an alpha channel (the default) and 2) the layer is filled with transparency

There are two "opacities" at play here, a "pixel opacity" within the layer where some pixels are opaque and others are not, and a "layer opacity" that applies to the whole layer (the final opacity of a pixel is the pixel's own opacity multiplied by the layer opacity).  The opacity you are setting to 0 is the layer one, so everything is made transparent.