Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble using my trackpad/mouse in conjunction with Wacom tablet
Hi there,

I installed Gimp 2.0.4, then added my Wacom tablet as an input device, on a Mac with OSX Yosemite, 10.10.5. My problem is that I can't control my stylus options through my laptop's trackpad. If I select a tool or change the settings for a tool with my trackpad, it changes the tool and its settings for the trackpad, and not for the Wacom stylus ("Core Pointer" must be what Gimp calls a given computer's default trackpad or mouse pointer). So if the tablet's stylus is selected as a Paintbrush tool, I can't change paint colors for the stylus with my trackpad--the only way I can change paint color for the stylus is if I use the stylus itself to point-and-click through the dialog menus. This is really difficult and frustrating because I keep accidentally tapping unintended icons or changing slider settings as I hover my stylus just above the surface of my tablet to tap on whichever item in whichever toolbox I'm actually trying to select.

I've noticed that in some tutorials for setting up a Wacom tablet in Gimp, the "Configure Input Devices" window lists the tablet devices as "WACOM Tablet Eraser" and "WACOM Tablet Pressure Stylus". In others tutorials, the tablet devices listed are Quartz Cursor, Quartz Eraser, and Quartz Pen. If it makes any difference, Gimp lists them on my machine by the "Quartz" names. I tried closing Gimp and reopening the whole program with the Stylus tip as my "pointer" instead of the trackpad, as someone online had recommended, but this did not change the listed input devices from "Quartz" to "WACOM". I've tried toggling the devices on and off one by one (Core Pointer (trackpad), the Quwartz Cursor, Quartz Eraser, and Quartz Pen) through Gimp's Input Devices window, and no sequence I've tried seems to work. I've read about some users' pressure sensitivity not working in Gimp, but mine works just fine.

My tablet has a "touch" option where if I use my fingers on it, it works like a giant trackpad. Strangely, using this touch mode doesn't change the stylus's settings either; it only changes the tools for the laptop's trackpad. I uninstalled Gimp 2.0.4 today and installed 2.0.6 and that didn't make a difference. What might be going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote:..My problem is that I can't control my stylus options through my laptop's trackpad. If I select a tool or change the settings for a tool with my trackpad, it changes the tool and its settings for the trackpad, and not for the Wacom stylus

I know nothing about OSX however

Have you tried enabling share tools in Edit -> Preferences -> Input Devices

Hey hey, that fixed it! Thank you, Rick2005.

The menu "Preferences" page for input devices on OSX appear to be exactly the same, but in OSX, Gimp's menu bar lists Preferences and Input Devices separately. Selecting "Input Devices" bypasses the menu you've posted a screenshot of and goes to the same page as when you click on "Configure Extended Input Devices."