Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Open png file.
I am using GIMP 2.10.14 in Windows 10 64bit.  For whatever reason, GIMP will not open any png files.  This includes those I have created by exporting as png and then trying to open them back into GIMP.  Other packages seem to have no trouble opening them.  If I use other packages to convert png files to jpg, GIMP will open them.

I have tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP and I have tried to bring png files into GIMP with - Windows 'open with', and GIMP open file.  Nothing works.  It appears to be a permission problem.  See below.

Please help.    
It could be that the file-png.exe plugin has been put restrictions on it Do you run an anti-virus?
it says permission denied. Put the PNG in some other folder and try to open it.
There do seem to be some reports about onedrive and access. This one recently closed due to lack of information https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2128

Then reports of an AV blocking access. https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-No-Opt...17#pid7917 last post.
or
Peculiarities with that onedrive\desktop link not actually pointing to file. ( I think) https://superuser.com/questions/1473136/...ws-10?rq=1

If you move the png file from onedrive to another location does it open?

...but then I am not a regular Windows user and definitely not using onedrive.
Thanks for the help. It appears that OneDrive is indeed the problem. I having no problems with exporting. It was just bringing png files into GIMP. There are no problems when I try other folders/drives besides OneDrive. Strangely jpg files seem to work both ways with GIMP and OneDrive. I tried all the suggestions from rich2005 links but still experiencing the same situation re png and OneDrive.

I now have a workable answer - files used to store pix for GIMP should be anywhere but in OneDrive.

Any ideas why jpg and png behave differently in OneDrive
(12-06-2019, 01:52 PM)Phantom54 Wrote: Thanks for the help.  It appears that OneDrive is indeed the problem.  I having no problems with exporting.  It was just bringing png files into GIMP.  There are no problems when I try other folders/drives besides OneDrive.  Strangely jpg files seem to work both ways with GIMP and OneDrive.  I tried all the suggestions from rich2005 links but still experiencing the same situation re png and OneDrive.

I now have a workable answer - files used to store pix for GIMP should be anywhere but in OneDrive.

Any ideas why jpg and png behave differently in OneDrive

Microsoft's Ways Are Unfathomable.

Perhaps they have JPG on a  white list of "safe" types (or PNG on a black list). Try to save/load other types (XCF, PDF, PS, GIF, Webp, BMP, TGA) to/from the same place and see those that are allowed and those that are rejected.
I have tried all of the extensions suggested by Ofnuts. They all work. I am starting to wonder if in the past I said to block .png files to onedrive. I have manually tried to change permissions but it seems to have no effect.