Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to cut 4 equal corners off an image
Hi , so i am new with gimp and am trying to cut 4 equal corners off an image. So i made a triangle with the path tool  and connected it, so then i can choose " selection from path " and in edit mode i can cut or delete that triangle out. 
                                                                But after that i get lost , i want to then just move the triangle and rotate it and move it to another corner and cut that corner out . Then do that to the 2 remaining corners. Though i seem to not be able to just rotate and move the triangle into position very easily. I can lock it and name it , but it don't seem to rotate . Any help? thanks
There are different ways to do that and the one I use often is this plugin from Ottia Tuota :
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Roundi...odify+path
The workflow I use :
- use guides on the 4 sides of the rectangle
- make a closed path on the 4 crossings of the guides (set snap to guide : gimp menu - View / Snap to Guides)
- use the Rounding Corners plugin 
- Rounded Corners path to selection
- invert selection
- delete corners

To move, rotate a selection (or a path) you need to select it in the transform tool options you are using

[Image: QL2OUzH.png]

But that's not how I would do it, I would use the Symmetry Painting (go to the top menu Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Symmetry Painting if it's not showing up)
Put it in a Mirror, and check Horizontal, Vertical, Central.
On a new layer above, select a brush, dab one point, then hit the Shift key and stay on it, then move your brush, dab the next point, etc... once it's done, go to Layer > Alpha to selection, then go to Select > Remove hole, then select layer below in the layer stack/dialog and hit Delete

30-second video > https://imgur.com/EQmCuVB
I think symmetry painting (or erasing) made even simpler.

Straight edge brush, angle 45 deg, Eraser tool, cut one corner.

Thanks for ideas folks , i will look them over when i get home.

(01-31-2023, 09:00 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I think symmetry painting (or erasing) made even simpler.

How do you get those settings on the right to show ? And how to turn the brush into an outlined box on the screen , like you have above? thanks

(01-31-2023, 09:00 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I think symmetry painting (or erasing) made even simpler.

I may have figured out how to do the questions i asked in my above post , yet is there a way to make the box bigger?

(01-31-2023, 12:48 PM)razzer Wrote: Thanks for ideas folks , i will look them over when i get home.

How do you get those settings on the right to show ? And how to turn the brush into an outlined box on the screen , like you have above? thanks

I may have figured out how to do the questions i asked in my above post , yet is there a way to make the box bigger?

Geez , i think i got it , thanks , took like a couple seconds , thanks ,  when before i was struggling for more than hour.