Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden Filters
Hidden Filters

After searching for the Erase Every Other Row filter in Filters - Distorts and did not find it, I searched for it using the Help - Plug - in Browser, but did not find it again.

However, for stubbornness, I checked the shortcut by the "/" key and typed the initial part of the filter name (Erase) and voila! I found it.
  • Would you like to make this filter re-appear in the menu list (Filters - Distorts- Erase Every Other Row)?
  • How do I know which other filters don't appear in the menus but are still active in Gimp?
Thank you.

Quote: After searching for the Erase Every Other Row filter in Filters - Distorts and did not find it, I searched for it using the Help - Plug - in Browser, but did not find it again.
However, for stubbornness, I checked the shortcut by the "/" key and typed the initial part of the filter name (Erase) and voila! I found it.

This has come up occasionally. The old filters are gradually being migrated to GEGL. There are those labeled (legacy) which remain in the menu and some not in the menu but can still run. Guessing these might be a dependency for something else.

Quote: (How) Would you like to make this filter re-appear in the menu list (Filters - Distorts- Erase Every Other Row)?

erase-rows.scm has the registration lines commented out - uncomment the last two lines

Quote:How do I know which other filters don't appear in the menus but are still active in Gimp?

As far as I know, there is no definitive list and will change as Gimp develops - those legacy filters will go. the ones I know are three compiled plugins tile small , blinds, filter-pack (edit: you can get these with " / " search)

The only way I know to get these back (in the menu) are 'borrow' the equivalent plugin from Gimp 2.8 Put these in your Gimp User Profile plug-ins.
(05-30-2019, 08:08 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote: (How) Would you like to make this filter re-appear in the menu list (Filters - Distorts- Erase Every Other Row)?

erase-rows.scm has the registration lines commented out - uncomment the last two lines

Worked perfectly! I am now with the script appearing on the menu.  Smile

I took advantage of it and checked the other 3 filters (tile small, blinds, filter-pack) via '/' key. I had an idea of what I could do with them, and I hope (when or if I ever need them) to remember them and that they are hidden.

I think I do not know what to use for most of the scripts/plugins in Gimp. Often only when exploring via menus and bumping into them do I just get to know them. Being concealed, the probability of knowing about their existence is very low.

Many thanks rich2005!