Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorials and tips
[attachment=10339][attachment=10339]
Generate Practice Images with Pixlr AI

Pixlr AI  presents a useful way to generate images for photo editing practice or tutorials.
Here, this will be for a tutorial on combining images with Wavelet Decompose.
This can be accomplished by:

1.     Use Pixlr AI to create  an image, for this example “brick tower with trees under stormy skies”, to use for a foreground image.
2.     Search Wikimedia Commons for suitable background image. The phrase here was “mountain landscape”.  This could also be done with Pixlr AI, but I preferred the display of options provided by Wikimedia Commons.
3.     Apply Filters Enhance Wavelet Decompose to the foreground image.
4.     Place the background image as a layer above the first scale with Grain Merge layer mode.
5.     Free Select any area or areas in the foreground image that should not be blended with the background image.
6.     Fill or paint these areas in the background image with 50% Gray.
7.     Adjust the opacity of the background layer.
The combined images should now present.

Attached Files Image(s)

I gave it a try, but the result wasn't very good.
Due to the Grain merge layer mode, a "ghost" of the -foregroud image still persists, even though it was not selected and painted with 50% gray.

I think using layer masks would have the same effect of combining the images, without needing wavelet decompose, and without 'residual ghosts'.

But I may have followed the tutorial incorrectly.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(09-10-2023, 05:00 PM)Krikor Wrote: I gave it a try, but the result wasn't very good.
Due to the Grain merge layer mode, a "ghost" of the -foregroud image still persists, even though it was not selected and painted with 50% gray.

I think using layer masks would have the same effect of combining the images, without needing wavelet decompose, and without 'residual ghosts'.

But I may have followed the tutorial incorrectly.

It takes a while to understand Wavelet Decompose but it is well worth the effort.  It is a very powerful filter that allows you to divide an image into up to 7 images, each can be edited like any image, and then they go all back together again.  Try it on halftone, noise removal, clarity,  etc.  You’ll quickly see the possibilities.