Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Plugins Contending for Resources
When I start Gimp from a terminal, I get the advisory " GLib-GObject-WARNING: Two different plugins tried to register 'GeglOpvector-fill_c'"

I've never noticed that it causes any problem, is this anything I should be working to isolate?

Might be difficult to track down. First thing is rename the Gimp user profile to disable it. Run Gimp to make a new default and see if that message re-occurs. If not, then it is one of your installed plugins.

Look for likely candidates, something that involves paths. I do not know but from this https://gegl.org/operations/vector.html something involving filling or stroking a path.

On the other hand, if everything is working....

Which version of Gimp / Operating System ?
Knoppix 9.1 /Gimp 2.10.30-1 +b1

And yeah, it's more or less a curio to me at this point, since I'm not experiencing any major malfunction. I was surprised to discover the error message actually.

I've got GAP installed, and I know that one is not particularly one of your favorites. And Gmic, and the python drop-in package so that I can use the resynthesizer package that you helped me with.....that's about all I've added...plus there is that one "thatch.scm" script that I added after that fellow came here to promote it. Not sure if a script can cause a "plug-in" fault?

I should be able to back my way out of it through trial and error. I just wanted to ask before employing the pruning shears, out of anticipation that the malady might already be a well known, save me the time of hunting, etc
thanks, though

Well, just to document the file, I was surprised to learn where this error actually spawned. I fully expected it to be the result of some of the extras That I added in.

But, you know how they say "step-wise refinement" etc?
So I started with a fresh install of Gimp 2.10.22...and first confirmed that the advisory reporting that two different plugins were trying to register the same resource, was not happening. There was no such error reported. There were a couple protests, one about x sane and another that I don't recall...but I've been seeing those comments for so long that I think I've grown numb to them.

So then on the pristine, otherwise unspoiled system, I updated Gimp to 2.10.30-1 +b1

And with no other additions or modifications, the error messages about two different plugins trying register GeglOpvector-fill_c
returned. But, the complaints about x sane and whatever the other one was, were now history.

So, while I admit it's completely unscientific, I'm forced to wonder if the update to the new gimp version at the same time "fixed" the old problems, and in so doing enabled the fixed components to contend for resources that yield my current conflict?

Speculating perhaps that's why this conflict has never caused me any observable problem? (I don't have a scanner)

I was really hoping for a solution easier to isolate, such as "well it only started after I added XYZ plugin", but evidently it's not going to be that obvious.

The problem is due to GEGL : sometimes ago, modifications has been done to the vector-fill operation and the file containing the code has been moved from one folder (external) to another one (common):
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gegl/-/co...8205682c63

Operations in GEGL are build as libraries ; some folder like external create one lib per file ; some other like common create only one lib containing all the files.
When you install gimp 2.10.22, you also install GEGL with a dedicated lib for the vector-fill operation.
When you upgrade gimp to 2.10.30-1, you also upgrade GEGL to a new release, where the vector-fill operation is stored in the "common" lib, but the dedicated lib is not removed.
(03-30-2022, 12:36 AM)tmanni Wrote: The problem is due to GEGL : sometimes ago, modifications has been done to the vector-fill operation and the file containing the code has been moved from one folder (external) to another one (common):

Operations in GEGL are build as libraries ; some folder like external create one lib per file ; some other like common create only one lib containing all the files.
When you install gimp 2.10.22, you also install GEGL with a dedicated lib for the vector-fill operation.
When you upgrade gimp to 2.10.30-1, you also upgrade GEGL to a new release, where the vector-fill operation is stored in the "common" lib, but the dedicated lib is not removed.

Thanks!!  Much obliged.

[Image: oVHXw7U.gif]

(03-30-2022, 12:36 AM)tmanni Wrote: The problem is due to GEGL : sometimes ago, modifications has been done to the vector-fill operation and the file containing the code has been moved from one folder (external) to another one (common):

Thank you for this, nowhere else on the internet I've been able to find a cause for this major annoyance, yet I am unable to follow steps to find the duplicate folder with the duplicate GEGL plugins.

Can you please assist?

I am trying to debug python code and the double registration plugins messages are taking the entire screen and I have to fish through hundreds of lines of these otherwise inert messages to see python-fu messages on the terminal.

I'manewbie at all thiss. Chat GPT tried but regardless of what its advise was Iwas unable to get these annoying messages off the screen.

Thanks in advance!
(11-14-2023, 03:24 PM)Anthony Buff Wrote:

Thank you for this, nowhere else on the internet I've been able to find a cause for this major annoyance, yet I am unable to follow steps to find the duplicate folder with the duplicate GEGL plugins.

Can you please assist?

I am trying to debug python code and the double registration plugins messages are taking the entire screen and I have to fish through hundreds of lines of these otherwise inert messages to see python-fu messages on the terminal.

I'manewbie at all thiss. Chat GPT tried but regardless of what its advise was Iwas unable to get these annoying messages off the screen.

Thanks in advance!

See here for some hints: Debugging python-fu scripts in Windows (yes, some of it applies to Linux as well, even if debugging on Linux is a lot easier)

If you are on Linux, make sure your Python support works: have you got Filters ➤ Python-fu ➤ Console in the menus?

You can always put a print '*****************************************' in your plugin code to spot where an execution starts in the console.

For further questions start a thread in our Scripting questions section.