Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two transparencies
Befuddled for sure. Just learning (?) Gimp.
I have a simple 1000x1000 px image with a ring in it touching each edge.
The background is transparent. This is great. I use this as a basis for making icons by putting an image inside the ring and saving it as a png.
I also change the color of the icon with a simple flood fill.
Currently the entire background is transparent, which works, but what it want is for the 4 corner "pies" to be 100% transparent so it appears as a circle, but I want the area inside the ring to be 30%, so when I use it in a web page it shows some of the background through it, but the corners are completely invisible.
I have tried watching videos, reading, etc. but I have to say the whole layer thing stumps me. If there is a video, website, or actual instructions that someone can recommend, I would really appreciate it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

FWIW, I downloaded your file, used the color picker to select the color of your ring, changed to the flood fill tool and modified the "opacity" to 30%, and filled the inside of the ring. Which worked. The opacity seemed a little thin to me so I made another at 45% opacity, and it looked pretty good to me. Try this and see if it gives the final product you are seeking.

You could use the same color as the ring for the partially transparent color, or any color you prefer

Here is 30% opacity:

[Image: 8ORhJuc.png]

And here is 45% opacity:

[Image: 0NuNlUk.png]

And then here is the image with 30% opacity superimposed over another image, just for example
[Image: PbriWZD.png]

(01-25-2021, 01:03 AM)rickk Wrote: FWIW, I downloaded your file, used the color picker to select the color of your ring,  changed to the flood fill tool and modified the "opacity" to 30%, and filled the inside of the ring. Which worked. The opacity seemed a little thin to me so I made another at 45% opacity, and it looked pretty good to me. Try this and see if it gives  the final product you are seeking.

You could use the same color as the ring for the partially transparent color, or any color you prefer

Here is 30% opacity:

[Image: 8ORhJuc.png]

And here is 45% opacity:

[Image: 0NuNlUk.png]

And then here is the image with 30% opacity superimposed over another image, just for example
[Image: PbriWZD.png]

Wow, that was fast. It looks exactly what I was trying to do. I just followed through with your brief description and was able to change the inside portion also. Simple enough when you know what the heck you are doing. I've been playing with it off and on for awhile, and you did it in minutes! Thanks!
(01-25-2021, 01:48 AM)Egroeg Wrote:

Wow, that was fast. It looks exactly what I was trying to do. I just followed through with your brief description and was able to change the inside portion also. Simple enough when you know what the heck you are doing. I've been playing with it off and on for awhile, and you did it in minutes! Thanks!

Incidentally, I played around with a few colors, just out of curiosity, and noticed that the final product looks better when you select a darker shade for the partially opaque background than the ring.  For example you might use fire truck red for the ring, at a completely solid (100% opaque) setting, and then darken that up to a brick red for the 30% opaque background.

Then, if you really want to get fancy, try using a gradient fill on the ring itself, to get a 3D look.