Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xubuntu 18-04 - revert to GIMP 2.8, - URGENT
Hi !  Using xubuntu 18.04, my system today had suddenly upgraded to GIMP 2.1x

I'm mostly using GIMP to cut, scale and save images for my web page, and using the save for web pluging  all the time for evry image.   It seems that the savee for web plugin is not  supported under GIMP 2.1x.
Yes, I know that you can do the same operations with other tools, but it is far more work intensive and without the "save for web " plugin, I will have to eiter abandon gimp, or revert to previous gimp 2.8x version.

If you are an artist, the "save for web" pluging might not be vert important, but for me, using gimp for preparing images for my websigte, it is the most important feature.

After reading the forum, it seems that no one plans for making the save for web plugin work under 2.1x ??
so my question is: how to revert to the latest Gimp 2.8x and the save for web when running Xubuntu 18.04 and prevent gimp to be upgraded to never versions in the future ?

Just now, i dont have time to wait for somone fixing the save for web plugin under 2.1x so I need my 2.8x running asain ASAP  :-)
I do not have a xubuntu handy to check what is/isn't installed/available so you will have to give a few details of what is installed.

I have never known a linux distro "just upgrade" a package without some sort of user intervention. Have you asked about this on a xubuntu forum?

Nothing tells me that xubuntu 18.04 is much different from the base version as far as default packages go, and for Gimp that is 2.8.22

Unless you are using a flatpak/snap/appimage version Gimp 2.10 comes from the otto-kesselgulasch/gimp PPA Did you enable this sometime?

xubuntu used to include synaptic as a package manager (if not worth installing it) and the list of repo's might look like this. https://i.imgur.com/1rXN0fP.jpg

Sometimes possible to force an earlier version: https://i.imgur.com/pOAX0qY.jpg but better to uninstall the Gimp 2.10, disable the PPA. Be thorough with Gimp. Go through the list of packages missing one can lead to 'broken packages' annoyance.

Refresh the sources list and install Gimp 2.8 (which will be the only available version)
(02-06-2019, 02:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I do not have a xubuntu handy to check what is/isn't installed/available so you will have to give a few details of what is installed.

I have never known a linux distro "just upgrade" a package without some sort of user intervention. Have you asked about this on a xubuntu forum?

Nothing tells me that xubuntu 18.04 is much different from the base version as far as default packages go, and for Gimp that is 2.8.22

Unless you are using a flatpak/snap/appimage version Gimp 2.10 comes from the otto-kesselgulasch/gimp PPA Did you enable this sometime?

xubuntu used to include synaptic as a package manager (if not worth installing it) and the list of repo's might look like this. https://i.imgur.com/1rXN0fP.jpg

Sometimes possible to force an earlier version: https://i.imgur.com/pOAX0qY.jpg but better to uninstall the Gimp 2.10, disable the PPA. Be thorough with Gimp. Go through the list of packages missing one can lead to 'broken packages' annoyance.

Refresh the sources list and install Gimp 2.8 (which will be the only available version)

Gimp 2.8x was installed before and worked perfect. Today, during normal system upgrades, GIMP version 2.10.8 showed up - DAMN,,, without the save for web pluging, GIMP is useless for me.
The problem is not how to install GIMP, the problem is either to get "save for web pligin" to work under GIMP version 2.10.8, or to revert to gimp 2.8.x where the save for web plugin is known to work
well this is what you wrote:

Quote:.. I will have to eiter abandon gimp, or revert to previous gimp 2.8x version.

Save for Web (webexport plugin) is not going to work in Gimp 2.10, it will need a code re-write and for example, one format jpeg2000 is no longer supported.

What format do you use most? Do you use the scaling options? Is it just to check the file size? 
For Gimp 2.10 (and Gimp 2.8) there is the preview option that shows file size.

Quote:The problem is not how to install GIMP

It is not a problem - I pointed out what you will need to do to revert to Gimp 2.8 from Gimp 2.10.
This in a kubuntu 18.04 Gimp 2.10.8 and webexport is working as good as it ever will.

[Image: zdfGdyx.jpg]

Where did you get the webexport plugin from? Was it the bloody awful gimp-plugin-registry package or was it one that I posted?  If nothing shows (not the same as does not work) then the Gimp update might have dumped it. I think it has been dropped from the gimp-plugin-registry package.

Try the attached. Unzip and put in the Gimp 2.10 user profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins  Check that it is executable.

Attached Files
.zip   webexport.zip (Size: 33.53 KB / Downloads: 228)
Many thanks. seems to work now after testing 1 photo :-)