Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to save as *.jpg or *.png
I just installed GIMP 2.10.20 today (8/19/2020) to take the place of Photoshop. So far I am unable to get GIMP to save a file as either a *.jpg or a *.png file type. The File Saveas seems to show it is doing it, but when I look with file manager it is not anything but the GIMP native file type. My operating system is Windows 10.

I was able to import an image from my all-in-one printer/scanner, so at least that worked OK.

I found a few things on-line that were instructions on how to get GIMP to save files as *.jpg and *.png, but I cannot get it to work. I do not find any GIMP files under User/my user files/ that have any GIMP listing. I am fairly new to Windows 10, so that could be part of my problem.

I need detailed instructions if possible.
Quote:The File Saveas seems to show it is doing it, but when I look with file manager it is not anything but the GIMP native file type.

Before getting into complications with Windows 10, File -> Save (or Save-as) only writes the image in Gimp .xcf (or one of the xcf compressed formats)

For other supported formats (jpg / png / tiff .... etc) Use File -> Export

It is always a good idea to give the full file name with suffix ie. somename.jpg Gimp will use the suffix, other wise you get the default, which is .png

see: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-images-out.html
Rich;

I used file > export and that did work! Thanks for the help. It will take me a while to learn how everything works in GiMP. So far it is fairly similar to Photoshop, which I was used to. I like that it has so many of the same features. I had been using a 2017 version of Photoshop but the school lost its ability to provide licenses for that due to budget cuts. So I have to learn this program. My learning curve is slower these days as I am 78 years old, but still like to learn new things. My other most frequent file type to save as, or export, is *.pdf. I have SODA PDF on another laptop that will allow me to do other conversions if I have to and it will also concatenate multiple *.jpg or *.pdf files into a single larger *.pdf file.

Thanks again!

Joe