Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undo / adjust earlier changes
Hi all, 

Recently I started editing and I'm trying to learn GIMP. Now I have a question I'm hoping you could help me with. 

When I change something in e.g. colour balance and press ok, the next time I open it, everything is back to zero, while the picture is clearly edited. So I can't reset or adjust stuff, except for using ctrl Z, or using the undo history. If I use the undo history however, all the changes I made past the colour balance are also undone. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you in advance!
As you found, you cannot selectively edit the Gimp 'undo' stack only go back to a specific point. The undo stack is not retained when you save then exit Gimp.

Do not rely on 'undo'. Adjust your work flow.
Save versions (name01.xcf , name02.xcf ...etc) as you go along
or
Create stages in your editing. You made some color balance adjustment. Use Layer -> `New from Visible' and continue.
Under that Layer is previous, above is new editing based on new-from-visible. Repeat as required.
When I work on photos or pictures, I always make a copy of the original photo or picture to a new layer and work on the copy. As Rich mentioned, save the stages of your work as different names (001, 002, 003....)
Thank you both for your quick reply and suggestions!