Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unwanted behaviour in Text layers
I have noticed an annoying behavior with text layers.  I have a project with several text layers.  Now and again, when I try to move the vertical origin of the text in a layer by picking up the size bar at the top, all of my text resets to a very small size when I release the sizing bar.  I have to then manually restore the text size it to the size it was (undo doesn't seem to work).  Other formatting such as bold or font color is retained.  I can't reproduce the issue at will, but wonder if it is related to text layers overlapping one another.

Gimp 2.10.14
Quote: I can't reproduce the issue at will, but wonder if it is related to text layers overlapping one another.

I have never had your issue with text resetting to some other size, but large overlapping text boxes can be a pita.

Instead of resizing the text box to move have you tried, with text tool active in text layer, ctrl-alt-click-n-drag. The cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and moves the text. example https://i.imgur.com/tywm7wR.mp4
The other way of course is use the move tool with it in move active layer mode.

IMHO unless necessary for formatting better to have text in dynamic-box mode.
(03-01-2020, 09:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I have never had your issue with text resetting to some other size, but large overlapping text boxes can be a pita.

Instead of resizing the text box to move have you tried, with text tool active in text layer, ctrl-alt-click-n-drag. The cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and moves the text. example https://i.imgur.com/tywm7wR.mp4
The other way of course is use the move tool with it in move active layer mode.

IMHO unless necessary for formatting better to have text in dynamic-box mode.

Thanks for your response.  More observations:
  • It just happened again, but the font size wasn't altered (I think), but the text box resized to become one long line - resizing it made the text wrap properly again.
  • When this occurs, the font name is replaced by "Standard" (in red) and the size to 11pt
  • I checked the setting of "Box" in the text tool option.  It is set to "Fixed".
(03-01-2020, 09:22 PM)RrnR Wrote:
  • It just happened again, but the font size wasn't altered (I think), but the text box resized to become one long line - resizing it made the text wrap properly again.
  • When this occurs, the font name is replaced by "Standard" (in red) and the size to 11pt
  • I checked the setting of "Box" in the text tool option.  It is set to "Fixed".

The one long line will be what I earlier referred as 'formatting' Lots of text, without line breaks, in a dynamic box (probably). Resizing the text box using the handles changes the mode to 'Fixed'.

Does this happen with a brand new image and text you have just entered or does the file already exist ? A .xcf from maybe another computer or changes to the computer you normally use (updates / change of OS etc).

If the font used does not exist on your computer, all looks normal, until you click in the text layer. Then because font does not exist, defaults are substituted. If that happens you need to exit the file without saving, install the missing font and try again.