Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating G'Mic
Hi All,
I currently have version 3.2.6 installed in Gimp 2.10.36 in windows 11...

Do I install version 333 directly on top of the old version or does it need to be uninstalled?

How do I uninstall it?

Thanks,
FlutteringBy
(01-15-2024, 06:19 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: I currently have version 3.2.6 installed in Gimp 2.10.36 in windows 11...

Do I install version 333 directly on top of the old version or does it need to be uninstalled?

How do I uninstall it?

gimp_gmic_qt plugin for Windows downloads in two versions, an installer or a zip. My advice is use the installer, currently this one 
https://gmic.eu/files/windows/gmic_3.3.3..._win64.exe about 36 MB download

This by default puts the plugin + all the dependency .dll files as a gimp_gmic_qt folder in your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

You can just delete that folder but it is probably better if you use the Windows Uninstall (1) if you can not find that there is an uninstall section in that ...\plug-ins\gimp_gmic_qt folder (2) If you can not find that then ...delete the whole gimp_gmic_qt folder.

Then just run the installer and use the default location it shows
rich2005, thank you so much for the detailed explanation.... Smile ...

I had a new hard drive installed & switched to windows 11 at the same time, so g'mic was not showing on my list of installed apps but was available & usable in Gimp...

I appreciate your help... Big Grin 

FlutteringBy

Update: uninstalled, reinstalled & all is good!!.... Wink ...
I find that the exe usually overwrites the last one.

Smile
Thanks sallyanne, I will definitely keep that in mind as I had been attempting to update using the .zip file.... Smile ....
(01-17-2024, 11:16 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: Thanks sallyanne, I will definitely keep that in mind as I had been attempting to update using the .zip file.... Smile ....

If you can use the zipped version so much the better.  There is no 'uninstall' information to clutter up the Windows registry.

Unzip and it gives all the files in a correct gimp_gmic_qt folder.

Delete the existing gimp_gmic_qt folder in your plug-ins folder

Copy or move the new folder into the same place.
Duly noted rich2005....

Thanks for pointing that out, I've added the info to my "Gimp Notes" folder... Smile ....

Always something new to learn... Big Grin ....
Hello all.
   I also would like to update G'Mic-Qt but I am using Gimp 2.10.30 running in Linux Mint 21.3 so I don't think the procedure outlined above will work for me.
   The  G'Mic-Qt version already installed is 2.9.2. I've already downloaded and unzipped version 3.3.4 but I don't know what to do next.
   My assumption is that the old version has to be uninstalled before installing the new version and I don't have a clue how to do that.
   Any suggestions?
Linux Mint 21.3 is based on 'buntu 22.04

The gmic download should be this one https://gmic.eu/files/linux/gmic_3.3.4_g..._amd64.zip

Unzip that and put it in your Gimp User Profile plug-in folder ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

(edit: either the whole gimp_gmic_qt folder or the single gimp_gmic_qt file from inside the folder, it does not matter)

It should override the old version from the repo.

(edit: I will try in a LM 21.3 VM when I get the iso downloaded but I have a very slow internet connection these days so using a torrent it might be tomorrow-or-sometime)
(02-20-2024, 04:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Linux Mint 21.3 is based on 'buntu 22.04

The gmic download should be this one https://gmic.eu/files/linux/gmic_3.3.4_g..._amd64.zip

Unzip that and put it in your Gimp User Profile plug-in folder  ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

(edit: either the whole gimp_gmic_qt folder or the single gimp_gmic_qt file from inside the folder, it does not matter)

It should override the old version from the repo.

(edit: I will try in a LM 21.3 VM when I get the iso downloaded but I have a very slow internet connection these days so using a torrent it might be tomorrow-or-sometime)

Thanks Rich. Looks like I downloaded the correct zipfile. I'll locate the mentioned folder and copy the unzipped files to it. I wasn't sure if it would overwrite the old or cause problems by installing in parallel.
   Edit: Worked like a charm. copied the unzipped folder to the plugins folder, started Gimp and the new version is there.