Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading Gimp What do I lose?
I am considering upgrading Gimp from 2.10.32 to 2.10.34.  I am using Windows 10.  I tried installing gmic but I get an error message when I execute Gimp libicuuc72.dll not found.  A little research tells me the driver is in Gimp 2.10.34.

I usually use the defaults upon installation.

I am generally satisfied with 2.10.32 but if a new installation has benefits that I can use I want to give it a try.  What will I lose?  I have a lot of custom templates.  Will I have to remake the templates?  I also have several keyboard assignments.  Will I have to remake the keyboard assignments.  I also have several default folders set up.  Will I have to reestablish the default folders? There are likely other features I customized... dockable windows?

When making a change like this I usually clone the OS drive so I can revert to the way it was if things don't work the way they are intended.  I want to know if there is something I can do to preserve Gimp the way I am using it or will I have to reconfigure everything?
You should not have to configure anything, as all your settings are in the user profile folder and GIMP does not touch this one if there is an existing one
Patrice
I am now a 2.10.34 user and I didn't have to reconfigure anything, thanks PixLab Gimper Extraordinaire.  All of the keyboard assignments are still there as well as my templates and default directories.

I did make a clone for insurance prior to installation but did not have to use it.  GMIC appeared for the first time, it found the drivers it wanted and Gimp reported no errors.  I don't know how useful GMIC will be.  I see a lot of filters but most of them don't seem to be for image improvements.  I am mostly interested in color and sharpness adjustments, curves, saturation, levels, shadows and highlights.  With all the new filters there's likely a few I will find useful but it will take some investigation.

The PNG files seem to load a lot faster.

I did have to reinstall Liquid Rescale.  A plug-in I have yet to find a use for, again it may take some time.
Quote:I did make a clone for insurance prior to installation but did not have to use it.

Regardless of OS, it is always worth keeping a back-up of your Gimp profile, that is where all your settings and resources reside. 

Quote:.. I don't know how useful GMIC will be.  I see a lot of filters but most of them don't seem to be for image improvements. 

In a way, I agree. Something for everyone but too many for me. However good fun seeing what some of the filters do.

Quote:I am mostly interested in color and sharpness adjustments, curves, saturation, levels, shadows and highlights.

Plenty in gmic for you. In the Colors section the curves filter. As well as regular RGB there are other color spaces, CMYK - HSV - Lab 

Quote:I did have to reinstall Liquid Rescale.  A plug-in I have yet to find a use for, again it may take some time.

Very true of many plugins Wink but when you need it, you need it. As a note, also as a gmic filter,  although I still find the liquid-rescale plugin a little more flexible.