Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uploading layers for Panorama
Bug 
Hi there. Im sure this basic question has been asked elsewhere but I scrolled around and couldn't find anything so.... here it is. Any help would be appreciated. 

I am following some directions Ive found online for creating a panorama. 
I have created a new image and then am in the process of opening images as layers. 
I shift select multiple images and then go to open them. 

The images in question were in the vertical position. When I attempted to open them, a popup asked me if I wanted to rotate. 
I didnt want to because, the intention for the panorama would have been the series of vertical images. However, (I cant remember why i did this) I selected yes, to rotate. The popup gave me the option to "dont ask for this again" and I selected that. 

The images were rotated to the landscape position but, it seemed to do so by just cutting out the image that would have been on the top and bottom of the vertical image. 
(Does this make sense? For instance, say the vertical image was three bands of color, red at the bottom, white in the middle, blue at the top. When I selected rotate, it turned the image horizontal but seemed to do so by cutting off the red and the blue, only leaving me with an image of white.)

Ok, fine. Just restart the project, right? But..... I selected "Dont ask this again."
So.... now, when I try to open as layers, the images immediately come up in the horizontal and cropped layout. 

My question, I guess, is twofold. Why did it crop the image, when I rotated it?
But more importantly, how can I get back to the beginning and just open these images in their uncropped unrotated position?
For clarity, I can still view the original, uncropped images in my media viewer. Its just that when I open in Gimp, they are automatically rotated and cropped.

Im new and just kinda finding my way around with this stuff so, any help would be appreciated.
Try going into the "Image" menu and selecting "Fit canvas to layers" That should solve your immediate problem.

As for undoing your change to system defaults, don't know.

(02-03-2022, 08:34 PM)seanmcguire Wrote: Hi there. Im sure this basic question has been asked elsewhere but I scrolled around and couldn't find anything so.... here it is. Any help would be appreciated. 

I am following some directions Ive found online for creating a panorama. 
I have created a new image and then am in the process of opening images as layers. 

The images in question were in the vertical position. When I attempted to open them, a popup asked me if I wanted to rotate. 
I didnt want to because, the intention for the panorama would have been the series of vertical images. However, (I cant remember why i did this) I selected yes, to rotate. The popup gave me the option to "dont ask for this again" and I selected that. 

The images were rotated to the landscape position but, it seemed to do so by just cutting out the image that would have been on the top and bottom of the vertical image. 
(Does this make sense? For instance, say the vertical image was three bands of color, red at the bottom, white in the middle, blue at the top. When I selected rotate, it turned the image horizontal but seemed to do so by cutting off the red and the blue, only leaving me with an image of white.)

Ok, fine. Just restart the project, right? But..... I selected "Dont ask this again."
So.... now, when I try to open as layers, the images immediately come up in the horizontal and cropped layout. 

My question, I guess, is twofold. Why did it crop the image, when I rotated it?
But more importantly, how can I get back to the beginning and just open these images in their uncropped unrotated position?
For clarity, I can still view the original, uncropped images in my media viewer. Its just that when I open in Gimp, they are automatically rotated and cropped.

Im new and just kinda finding my way around with this stuff so, any help would be appreciated.

Let's get this straight, if you pardon the pun. Images from a camera re always "horizontal", or, more accurately, wider than high. But the camera adds a "rotation" metadata to the image so that pictures are rotated to compensate the camera orientation.

So Gimp is really asking you if it should use the image exactly as it was on the camera sensor or if it should apply the rotation metadata.

I think you can get back to the asking behavior by editing the parasiterc file in your Gimp profile and deleting the two lines (or setting them to "no")(keep a backup copy just in case)
Code:
(parasite "exif-orientation-rotate" 1 3 "yes")
(parasite "gimp-metadata-exif-rotate(image/jpeg)" 1 3 "yes")
Hello Sean

Rotating an image does not rotate the image in the way humans think it should - the whole image, what this feature does is rotate the image within the canvas size and as you found out crop the image.

Try not to check the 'Don't ask again' box yeah bit annoying that option, better than losing options todo or not do and not recoverable, I have found out a few times in the past.

Ofnuts mentioned

Quote:I think you can get back to the asking behavior by editing the parasiterc file in your Gimp profile and deleting the two lines (or setting them to "no")(keep a backup copy just in case)

if you don't want to  go into and change parts of your profile,here is something from Gimp docs as Ofnuts pointed to -

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfi...mp-profile

That end part of the Help doc is what I would do if not wanting to edit my user profile, also make a copy of the existing profile as stated in the middle paragraph that is before changes are made.
Hope it helps you
Regards
ReDraw
Quote:I am following some directions Ive found online for creating a panorama. 

Lots of good advice from everyone Wink

This is how I might go about making a 'vertical' panorama in Gimp. https://youtu.be/XA6U56PppZ0  5 and a half minutes.

Thank you all for the tips. 

Another thing: In googling "how to pano with gimp" everything i find leads me to plugins. So, Ive tried to follow directions for using plugins but have come across numerous problems that I cant figure out. In the meantime, I found an "arrange images as pano" option (or something like that and, I have used it now a few times to great success. Now, however, I am trying to do another one and I just cannot seem to find that option. Where TF did it go??

(In other words, I have imported all of the images as layers and I just want to click that initial button that puts them in a rough panoramic order. But after doing this a few times, I cannot for the life of me find the "arrange as pano" button)
Quote:In googling "how to pano with gimp" everything i find leads me to plugins.

Since this is Gimp forum then the only script / plugin I know of is Pandora , a script-fu although I recall a python plugin version. All equally ancient. However it still works but not vertically, you need to load the layers for a horizontal image then rotate the result. A little bit of automation, add the layermasks and a bit of fade.
Just a quick check to see if it still works with Gimp https://i.imgur.com/TBkGGw2.mp4

I forgot about this until I made a search https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Stitch...0#pid17290 A link there to the Pandora script.

Quote:I found an "arrange images as pano" option (or something like that and, I have used it now a few times to great success. Now, however, I am trying to do another one and I just cannot seem to find that option. Where TF did it go??

Absolutely no idea, you will have to give the name of the plugin
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but why use GIMP for panoramas? By all means use it to prepare the images to be used for the panorama (removing unwanted people for instance) but then use something like Hugin.
Very much in agreement Hugin will blend, match in one go and is free. I am fortunate having an old linux AutoPanoGiga that still works and have occasionally used NIP2.

...but this is a Gimp forum and tends towards Gimp answers.