Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using GIMP 2.8.22, Repositioned image disappears!

What is happening in the circled areas? 

(These images are only for practice. In my real image, I need to add text or a text image under a big circle, and the whole thing will be my company logo. But there's no room at the bottom, and neither moving the layer nor resizing the layer allows me to move the circle up without moving it out of view).
Have you tried resizing the canvas?
[attachment=8363 Wrote:zeuspaul pid='30375' dateline='1658354655']Have you tried resizing the canvas?

Thanks, that helps a lot! But it still scrunches at the bottom. (I don't feel like I have room to work). Is there a way I can move everything up a little higher on my screen?

I THINK I GOT IT!!!!  Smile    1. Increase layer size   2. Fit canvas to layer   3. Add image at bottom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-20-2022, 10:04 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: Have you tried resizing the canvas?

Canvas refuses to stretch to fit the new layer size, even when I resize the canvas manually.  Sad

Using the move command with pick layer or guide selected move the layer to where you want it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-21-2022, 07:04 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: Using the move command with pick layer or guide selected move the layer to where you want it.

Thanks, but I still need the canvas bigger. I need to add my company name under the image in fairly big font. It needs to stand out, so it will stick out beyond the image some on both sides, and be about 1/8 or 1/6 of the image tall, so I need space at the bottom of the canvas, need the canvas to stretch down and also out some.
How are you adjusting the canvas size?  Under image/canvas size you can type in any size you want.

(07-22-2022, 10:29 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: How are you adjusting the canvas size?  Under image/canvas size you can type in any size you want.
That's what I meant by "even when I resize the canvas manually"; tried it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the jargon term "canvas"? I'm thinking it means the white square on which the image sets....
I am confused.  Try file/new and create an image large enough to encapsulate all of your images.  Then file/open as layers and open the images you want to reposition.
(07-22-2022, 11:01 PM)Songbird Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 10:29 PM)zeuspaul Wrote: How are you adjusting the canvas size?  Under image/canvas size you can type in any size you want.
That's what I meant by "even when I resize the canvas manually"; tried it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the jargon term "canvas"? I'm thinking it means the white square on which the image sets....

No, the white square is just a layer (created by default when you create a new image). The canvas is the image frame/porthole that defines what is kept if you export to JPG/PNG, etc... (so this is more or less the checkerboard when there is no visible layer).

Layers can extend beyond the canvas limits (which appears to be the case in your first post) or be smaller than the canvas. These "problems" can be fixed if necessary with "Image > Fit canvas to layers" for the first and "Layer > Layer to image size" for the second.