Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using the GIMP Manual
Question 
I just now installed the English language manual for GIMP 2.10.  After I downloaded and installed the manual, I restarted my desktop PC (Windows 10).

However, the pages of the manual display as blank pages when I open it inside GIMP.  Attached is a screenshot to show what I am talking about.

What do I need to do, to fix this?  Thank you for any help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Blank page? I vaguely remember something like that in the distant past, a broken Gimp help browser. Normally if the help files are not recognized you get a message
"The GIMP user manual is not installed in your language....."   Is this a brand new Gimp 2.10.18 installation or over a existing installation?

However, more generally (might help other GB users).  The GB version of help has been a 'sometimes' problem since Gimp 2.8 No change on that front. There is the The user manual is not installed locally message. (I assume you do not have that)

First check the language settings, both places in Edit -> Preferences Interface and Help System If you make any changes, restart Gimp and check Edit -> Preferences again.

The next 'fix' is go into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\ folder and rename en_GB to a plain en   Restart Gimp and see if help is recognized and usable.

If all that fails, and you need something to use off-line then there is an English language PDF of Gimp 2.10 help, to download here: http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/  1000 pages / indexed / searchable.
(03-30-2020, 08:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Blank page? I vaguely remember something like that in the distant past, a broken Gimp help browser. Normally if the help files are not recognized you get a message
"The GIMP user manual is not installed in your language....."   Is this a brand new Gimp 2.10.18 installation or over a existing installation?

However, more generally (might help other GB users).  The GB version of help has been a 'sometimes' problem since Gimp 2.8 No change on that front. There is the The user manual is not installed locally message. (I assume you do not have that)

First check the language settings, both places in Edit -> Preferences Interface and Help System If you make any changes, restart Gimp and check Edit -> Preferences again.

The next 'fix' is go into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\ folder and rename en_GB to a plain en   Restart Gimp and see if help is recognized and usable.

If all that fails, and you need something to use off-line then there is an English language PDF of Gimp 2.10 help, to download here: http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/  1000 pages / indexed / searchable.

Thank you for your response.  Instead of following your first suggested solution, I followed the link to the pdf manual you provided, and I now have that saved on my desktop.