Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving pasted elements
Hey folks,

new to gimp, have only used preview and photoshop.

I have a base layer with a building layout. I guess I am adding a second layer and in that layer I want to paste in 15 disks, each with its own text so there will be 30 elements. I want to grab and maybe slightly resize, and move each one to my satisfaction. The only way I am finding to do this is that I have 31 layers, one for each element.

I've tried searching but I think I am wording wrong- can't find the answer for my situation. Is it possible to paste a number of elements into a layer and move each one about?

thanks

-rudestar
Perhaps you can achieve the same result by editing the layers individually and after finishing editing on those layers all you need to do is 'merge visible layers', making them into a single layer.

First, make visible only the layers you want to merge.
Right-click on a layer in the layer dialog window and in the pop-up that appears select: Merge - Visible - Layers ...
Thanks Krikor- I may have worded poorly.

In other programs you can paste several elements and move and size each one all on the equivalent of one later - it's quite easy. I guess my question is- can you do this in Gimp?

thanks!
(04-27-2021, 11:29 PM)rudestar Wrote: Hey folks,

new to gimp, have only used preview and photoshop.

I have a base layer with a building layout. I guess I am adding a second layer and in that layer I want to paste in 15 disks, each with its own text so there will be 30 elements. I want to grab and maybe slightly resize, and move each one to my satisfaction. The only way I am finding to do this is that I have 31 layers, one for each element.

I've tried searching but I think I am wording wrong- can't find the answer for my situation. Is it possible to paste a number of elements into a layer and move each one about?

thanks

-rudestar

No, individually movable elements must be on their own layers. What you can do it put each text and its disk in a layer group, so you can move the layer group around. If necessary you can also make groups of groups so that you can move several texts together (and with their discs).
I would suggest cropping the layers and editing them. Layer - Crop To Content.
There is a plugin that allows you to crop multiple layers at the same time.
But still, each object would still have to be on its own layer.
Thanks! that is the answer I was looking for. I assume once I flatten it to two layers (map on one, disks on another), and I want to move just one disk, I can delete the disk, add a third layer, then merge #2 and #3.

I'll get to work Smile

-R
(04-28-2021, 05:52 PM)rudestar Wrote: I assume once I flatten it to two layers

I very seldom merge layers. It makes any future editing very difficult.
Rather use groups or New From Visible