Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VERY noobie question
Downloaded 2.10.8 GIMP started GIMPTRICKS first lesson - halfway through exercise i was looking for DELETE button
but there is none except EXIT or Close ?  

This exercise (my first) is not finished and not saved, so how to start afresh without bringing back the remnants
that was left in the first trial exercise that shows up even though i clik on  Close or clear history ?

Sorry to waste your time over a nooby question.
I have never heard of GIMPTRICKS so can't comment on that.

The DELETE button is the DELETE key on the keyboard. The menu item is Edit > Clear. You can see the keybaord shortcut, Delete, there.

You should SAVE your image as an .xcf file. This is Gimp's own format and preserves layers, etc. You then EXPORT in the required format (jpg, png, etc). If you need to make edits, open the xcf file again.

I am not sure what remnants you mean.
Go to Edit > Preferences > Tool Options . Click on Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values, and Uncheck Save tool options on exit
Go to  Edit > Preferences > Interface > Window Management. Click on Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values, and Uncheck Save window positions on exit.
Gimptricks: Is it one of these series, example: https://youtu.be/8LmW5ndnEqw

First: These are old-ish and based on Gimp 2.8. Also in multiple window mode so looks very different from a default Gimp 2.10 installation.

Quote:...halfway through exercise i was looking for DELETE button ..

A bit of a guess here, but looks like deleting a selection. While you can use the keyboard Delete key using Gimp Menus Edit -> Clear also Edit -> Cut or the Gimp shortcut ctrl-x work. A bit strange because the presenter goes into detail apart from throwing that in.

Lots of old tutorials around using Gimp 2.8 (even the occasional Gimp 2.6) By all means look at them but essentially just for general concepts, rather than hard-and-fast rules.
Not all of the newer ones using Gimp 2.10 are great either, some actively promote bad practice. The gimptricks I referenced at 10 minutes is about maximum useful length. If it takes longer than that, not worth watching.

Quote:This exercise (my first) is not finished and not saved, so how to start afresh without bringing back the remnants that was left in the first trial exercise that shows up even though i clik on Close or clear history ?

As Blighty points out Save as a Gimp .xcf Do not worry about undo history it is not saved with the image. It only remains while Gimp is active. Start a new image - no history. Open an old image - no history