Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vector Path coloured
Hey, I want to refresh my Logo. The Letters and shapes were build on bad pixel at least by widescreen. I figured out how to convert letters and path with ai to .svg (Vector), it’s so sharp.
But with Gimp 2.8.22 I’m not able to put back that color gradient to imported path.
The result should be a .png and not a .svg
.. So can you help me please with mixing that sharp vectors with the color gradient?
When I convert a gimp path to selection, the pixels unfortunately always come back.
(09-03-2023, 01:07 AM)xyzett Wrote: Hey, I want to refresh my Logo. The Letters and shapes were build on bad pixel at least by widescreen. I figured out how to convert letters and path with ai to .svg (Vector), it’s so sharp.
But with Gimp 2.8.22 I’m not able to put back that color gradient to imported path.
.. So can you help me please with mixing that sharp vectors with the color gradient?
When I convert a gimp path to selection, the pixels unfortunately always come back.

When you convert  path to a selection, the pixels among the edge (so more or less the pixels that are traversed by the path get various levels of selection/opacity, in relation to their area inside the path. This is perfectly normal and is called "anti-aliasing" and this is what makes smooth-looking shapes (even if when you zoom in you see a jumble of pixels).

If you want to process a SVG the real application to use is Inkscape, which is the canonical SVG editor (and it will also do the anti-aliasing).
You will find a lot of information on Inkscape in the forum "Other Graphics Software"
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Other-g...s-software

Smile
(09-03-2023, 01:07 AM)xyzett Wrote: Hey, I want to refresh my Logo. The Letters and shapes were build on bad pixel at least by widescreen. I figured out how to convert letters and path with ai to .svg (Vector), it’s so sharp.

Maybe this topic can be useful for you:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Antial...1#pid12751

There is also a video that shows an antialiasing technique: https://youtu.be/AnSlqFIaeFQ?si=SPgXqWo1RHyGSnoH

But in general you will always get that kind of "it's so sharp" look when converting a .svg to a bitmap.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Thank you so much!! And sorry for the delay!
"anti-aliasing" Ok. I'm such a badass in graphic design, but I want to learn more.
So, It's not for printing, I know that inc does everything different. Just a small Logo on a webside.
The Idea was unfortunately created on a little gimp Project.

Here are 2 final files 
first file
1024 x 689  Pixels (1.48)    347kb
second file 
only 60kb
When zooming in you see some hard edges and some smoother ones. Depending on there different sources.

Then I started to improve it and figured out that aweful view of  vectors.
Seems to be impossible to engage it into a webpage as a jpg. Is there even  any .svg files on webpages?        
(09-20-2023, 09:38 PM)xyzett Wrote: Thank you so much!! And sorry for the delay!
"anti-aliasing" Ok. I'm such a badass in graphic design, but I want to learn more.
So, It's not for printing, I know that inc does everything different. Just a small Logo on a webside.
The Idea was unfortunately created on a little gimp Project.

Here are 2 final files 
first file
1024 x 689  Pixels (1.48)    347kb
second file 
only 60kb
When zooming in you see some hard edges and some smoother ones. Depending on there different sources.

Then I started to improve it and figured out that aweful view of  vectors.
Seems to be impossible to engage it into a webpage as a jpg. Is there even  any .svg files on webpages?

Yes you can have SVG as images, but it depends on the server, some don't see SVG files as images and don't label them as such so the browser think they are binaries and tries to download them.

Now, when you zoom in any image it looks crap because you see pixels (that were until now below you eye separation power). A well done PNG image should be perfect.