Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venetian blind effect
Got to keep a sense of proportion about this Wink

Gimp can do the arithmetic for you and trim the excess when complete: https://imgur.com/jdBqMy1.mp4 showing 51 pix strips
(02-28-2023, 09:38 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Got to keep a sense of proportion about this Wink

Gimp can do the arithmetic for you and trim the excess when complete: https://imgur.com/jdBqMy1.mp4  showing 51 pix strips

Yes, you can do the arithmetic in gimp, nice trick by the way, but very few of us knows that GIMP's capability Wink

Next I'll try to speak about  average users  Blush
Very few of us knows about this GIMP's ability, and even if we know, we won't do it while using the script,
why?
because our mind is focusing/set on the result that should happen while using the script, thus, or we give up after few warning, or it will take few tries before that GIMP's ability comes to our mind or open the calculator if ever we do..
Not even sure about the later, because after the first alert/warning, our mind will start  tunneling (getting narrow minding? if I can say that) and the tunneling will get narrower after each warning/alert.
This very thing happened to me! I searched for another solution, even I knew GIMP can do the arithmetic...
this GIMP's ability did not came to my mind while trying the script > warning > tunnel > warning > tunnel narrower > 2 more times > in the end I just wanted to delete the script...

Is it a nice script? Oh yes, I have nothing to say about it, it's a nice one, just that "hey calculate the multiple or the script won't work" ... 3-5 times in a row > people are gone already searching for something else.

Just a point of view/thought Wink
Guy,

I was away for a few days and hence the sudden quietness. I came back to what seems like a whole heap of ideas! A big thank you to you all.
I will try each one and see which give me the result im looking for and let you know. Hopefully it will do what I am hoping it will.

I will let you know

Karl
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the responses by the way. It was a great help and great suggestions. I did manage getting it to work, at least in principle (I wont know until I get back to work next week). As for the strip divisions, I found that whatever image I used I looked first at image property's. This gave me the pixel width. Depending on what size i needed each stripe to be (say 10 pixels wide) I just scaled the image to something that would work ie. 1000 pixels and it would be able to shred the image in a nice even number. Oddly, the image its self isn't that important unless its totally ruined by scaling, but the pixel width is - in fact I have to work out how many pixels wide each strip is to be first, then scale the image into something that can be shredded correctly.

Quite impressed with Gimp, looks like a free version of photoshop which is just as capable. Hats off to anyone who is involved in its upkeep. I was looking to see if there was a couple of training videos on it, and naturally there is - effing loads! So, rather than start on a potentially awful tutorial I thought I would ask you guys. For someone starting at zero and heading for hero, what tutorial(s) would you recommend?
(03-03-2023, 10:04 AM)karlkane Wrote: So, rather than start on a potentially awful tutorial I thought I would ask you guys. For someone starting at zero and heading for hero, what tutorial(s) would you recommend?

Not that many. There are a lot of bad tutorials out there... Davies Media Design stands out...

Also, the Gimp UI and capabilities have evolved quite a bit between 2.8 and 2.10, so anything from 2.8 times (before 2018) should be taken with a grain of salt (there may be more correct and/or efficient ways in 2.10), and anything before 2012 requires the whole shaker.
(03-03-2023, 12:41 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Not that many. There are a lot of bad tutorials out there... Davies Media Design stands out...

And you're very nice by saying this way, if it was me saying that, I would have use a very different wording Big Grin