Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washed-Out Inversions
After scanning a 35mm strip of Ilford Ortho B&W (negative) film, VueScan does a fairly decent job of displaying the inverted end result (VueGrab attached). BTW they're stereo pairs, hence the repetition. But on importing the RAW file into GIMP 2.10 and invoking the Colors/Invert function, that presents a very washed out version (GimpGrab attached). Any ideas as to why that's happening? I'm familiar with using the RGB Adjustment panel in the case of color negative film but I presume that doesn't have a place when it comes to B&W. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. My thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

An alternative to RGB curves, the GEGL filter Negative Darkroom. Tools > GEGL Operations then dropdown menu > Negative Darkroom.

There are some Ilford Presets, very light by default but exposure easily adjusted.  No suitable negative scan handy so using your screenshot.

(05-09-2022, 03:38 PM)Seasider4747 Wrote: But on importing the RAW file into GIMP 2.10 and invoking the Colors/Invert function

There are 3 Colors ➤ Invert / Linear Invert / Value Invert

When I tried Colors ➤ Invert It works just fine on my side, but when I tried Colors ➤ Linear Invert I got your result (Although I just got the pseudo "sample" from your screenshot which might be way inaccurate)
In the end, it looks to me that you've used Colors ➤ Linear Invert instead of Colors ➤ Invert
Did you tried the "others" colors ➤ Invert ?
(05-09-2022, 03:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote: An alternative to RGB curves, the GEGL filter Negative Darkroom. Tools > GEGL Operations then dropdown menu > Negative Darkroom.

There are some Ilford Presets, very light by default but exposure easily adjusted.  No suitable negative scan handy so using your screenshot.

Smile That works perfectly. Many thanks for that very helpful walkthrough.

(05-09-2022, 03:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote: An alternative to RGB curves, the GEGL filter Negative Darkroom. Tools > GEGL Operations then dropdown menu > Negative Darkroom.

Smile Brilliant. I would never have fathomed that routine without your advice. Very many thanks.